Chapter 122: A Kiss of Promise

A boy walks down the bustling and lively hallway with his books in his hand. He seems to be in his own world, with troubled thoughts taking over. Another pair of feet sneak up next to him and walk by his side as the blond unintentionally speaks aloud, "I really can't believe that Mikan-Chan will be gone starting tomorrow..." a heavy cloud weighs over his mind and heart at the thought, "It's only a bit more until our graduation ceremony and yet... it's really sad that we can't graduate elementary school together."

His blue eyes scan the area where different elementary kids are all smiling and laughing with one another, unaffected by what was going on with Sakura. His gaze finally settles on the dazzling ruby eyes that were staring at him the entire time. He wasn't even that frightened or startled that Natsume had snuck up to him. For some odd reason, Natsume had been by Ruka's side more often than usual. Yes, they were best friends but it was almost as though Natsume were watching over the boy in fear that he disappeared too.

The same was with Mikan.

Natsume somehow was always found with Ruka and Mikan, weirding out many students who knew the boy.

'Could he be missing Akako-Chan? Of course he is, what a silly question. Maybe that's why he hangs around Mikan-Chan and I so much.' Ruka often thought, now watching as Natsume walk ahead of him. He stares at Natsume's back as a thought suddenly fills his brain, swooping through like a strong gust of wind as he accidentally reminds himself of his best friend.

'It feels as though... Akako isn't in this world anymore. When will she and Imai return...?'  Similar thoughts about the blonde girl swirl in his mind like a tornado, many different memories mixed with the wind as well as terrified thoughts. 'What if Imai couldn't save Akako...?'

Ruka begins walking after Natsume with his head hanging, 'What affect will that have on Mikan and Natsume?' Ruka wondered, 'Will they be okay?'

The two boys exit the school together, being welcomed by the bright and warm sun that shone down on them. Rather than reacting to the brightness as Ruka did when he shielded his eyes for a moment, Natsume stayed unfazed with his hands stuffed into his pocket. It takes the blonde a moment to gather his bearings and slowly lower his hand as the two stare up into the sky. The silence wasn't one of awkwardness, rather, it was just one of existence. There was no uncomfortable feeling within the quiet air nor was there contempt, the two were simply standing on the concrete and living in this frozen moment that seemed to stretch out for a few minutes.

Wanting to fill the air, Ruka speaks out, "Ne... Did you hear about Jinno-Sensei?" he asks. Neither look at the other as they watch the wind take random leaves with the breeze. Even the sight of that brought back many memories. "Mm." Natsume confirms, watching as the green pieces flutter and dance through the air to a ballad that he would never hear. Ruka nods after hearing his friend's response, "He's going to take the place as the new Elementary School Principal... It's a bit hard to fathom but he seems best fit for the role." The blond compliments the teacher, "Although he'll probably be rather strict, don't you think?" A small chuckle leaves his lips.

The sound of the small laugh eases Natsume's heart a bit as Ruka continues speaking. "And I heard that Narumi-Sensei is going to be the new teacher of the Dangerous Abilities class." Ruka talks, staring up at the passing clouds that slowly pass them by and fade into the horizon. "Oh, and for the middle school division..."

Natsume's eyes travel to Ruka, watching as the boy talks. His blue eyes never once travelled to Natsume. It was unknown if he merely didn't feel the need to or if Ruka didn't necessarily want to. He seemed to be talking to absolutely nothing and maybe he was, maybe Ruka needed to have the silence filled because he wasn't used to it. With Mikan leaving, things would never be as lively as they were and it would be a difficult thing for Ruka to get used to- though he, himself, was a bit quiet. So the reason for this blabbering, although he was the one doing it, was quite odd to him. While Ruka didn't know why he was like this at the moment, Natsume was able to read his best friend's actions and easily decipher what exactly the boy needed.