Chapter 1

It always start's out the same...

It's late... it was almost time for bed but mother was letting me stay up longer since it's my birthday today. I am 6 years old and I absolutely love the doll and dress my mother made for me.

The doll looks like a mini version of me and my dress is a mixture of light blue and white all sewed together beautifully. The sleeves are short and the gown fits perfectly reaching to my ankles. I feel like a princess in my new dress.

My mother bends down, her hand gently touching my cheek. We look so much alike, only difference is her hair is light brown while mine is dark, but our eyes are the same blue color.

"My beautiful gifted girl, another year another promise, okay?"..

I nod my head knowing the promise she is referring to, from the years before.

"Promise me you won't tell or show anyone outside of this home your wings or magic"...

I smile up at mother "I promise mama"...

My mother kisses my forehead softly... "Happy birthday Eretria"

She walks over to the kitchen table to clean up what was left of dinner. I turn back to my doll just admiring the craftsmanship of it. My mother truly did an amazing job... i will cherish this doll forever... I hold the doll close to my chest.

Suddenly a man busted down the door of our small home, yelling frantically at my mother. That's when everything took a turn for the worst.

"Nathan, please don't do this... I am innocent, i've never harmed anyone.. please my daughter is watching.."...

My mother cries in fear as the man had a harsh grip around her arm. He looked furious, teeth gritting in anger and breathing heavily while the other hand held a sharp blade to my mother's throat.

I trembled in fear not understanding what's going on. With one hand i'm tighly clutching onto my doll while the other hand is holding onto the dress of the older woman Martha who helps mama take care of me. I can feel her shaking as well.

"You speak nothing but lies...witch"..

The man spits at my mother with such disgust and venom in his voice. My eyes widen in fear and understanding... he knows..no... mama said if anyone found out...they would...they....

My mother places her free hand against his chest to use her powers to throw him away from her, but right before he's even thrown into the wall... he is unfortunately quicker with the blade against her throat.

"AHHHHHHH!".. it's my scream.

Blood splatters the wall as my mothers throat is slashed. Her body falls to the floor shaking violently while the blood pours out from her neck forming a puddle around her.

The man stands up from being thrown against the wall and begins to laugh quietly at first then much louder, as if he's lost his mind.

A blue light shoots out from my mothers chest hovering above her lifeless body. In blue light, similar to smoke, but in the shape of my mother.
There's no doubt in my mind, it's her spirit and she's looking directly at me.

"Run my child, don't let them find you, i'm sorry, mother loves you, always"..she says with sadness and heartbreak evident in her voice.

"MAMA!".. I cry out

Before I can say anymore, I see my mothers spirit charge at the man who killed her. As if that was her cue, Martha quickly drags me out of the only place I called home.

"Come Eretria! Now!... you're not safe here, because I made a promise to your mother, I will make sure you leave here alive."

Martha says in a rushed whisper while dragging me deeper into the forest. I hold my doll closer to me trying to find any sense of comfort, but finding none.