chapter 2

Another year, another promise...

"Yes mama"... I say out loud hoping she will hear it from wherever she may be.

The memory of my human mother comes to mind every year on this day. I look up to the stars that shine freely in the night sky. A sting of envy hits me as I may never know what it truly means or feels like to be free. Though that's not really true I suppose, I am free to do what I want in the forest but the threat of humans is a constant reminder that we are not truly free to live carefree.

Today is my birthday, I am 21 years old now. This day is bittersweet for me every year. The happiness of being alive another year surrounded by those I love and who love me in return brings me joy. But... my human mothers death will always haunt my thoughts this day as well. Like I said.. it's a bittersweet day.

I only ever ask Maleficent, my mother one wish every birthday, and that is to be out as long as I wanted. Of course she lectures me every year about being safe and what signal to give into the night sky if I ever need help. But she grants me this knowing I need it.

During the day, Aurora always throws me the best birthday parties with all the magical creatures in Moors to celebrate. I spend time with family during the day, but come night time I spend it alone, to my own thoughts and dreams. It may sound lonely but it's really not.

Currently I am near the edge of the forest that over looks the ocean with the moon high in the sky. It's truly beautiful. The water goes out for miles, it's amazing and never ending. It always has me thinking about what else is out there in this world. I'm sure this world has more folk like myself or even mother. We can't be the only ones here.. But where are they?...

A males voice rings out into the night of the forest scaring me more then i'd care to admit.. "You should leave this place human, you don't belong here".... I quickly note the amount of hatred in his voice.

I stand quickly, turning around to search for the owner of that voice. I look everywhere from where I stand and can't find anyone. Not in the bushes, or trees. I focus my mind to be preprared to use magic against whoever this man is. The potential of that voice belonging to a hunter or poacher creep into my mind, ultimately making me more nervous by the second.

"Who's there!?'' ... I call out attempting to sound like i'm not startled one bit.

I hear him laugh... he knows i'm nervous...

I'm irritated instantly, at the same time the sound of his laugh is kind of nice in a weird way. I roll my eyes even more irritated with myself now... get it together Eretria this could be a dangerous person.
Being patent isn't my strong suit, best to find out sooner rather than later.

I cross my arms.. "Well are you going to hide in the shadows forever or come out?".. I say successfully sounding more confident than I feel.

"You are quite brave for a human" ...the mysterious man says with a faint chuckle but his tone still sounds angry.