Chapter Eighteen

Začít od začátku

"She's sick isn't she?"

Tia's lips stretched into a soft smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Leukemia... she's going for chemo today."

"How long if you don't mind me asking?"

"She was diagnosed two years ago. It's been really hard, but she's so strong, stronger than me even. But we're not going to discuss it because then I'll get all emotional cry and we just met. Why are you going to the hospital?"

"The Steward Foundation is making a donation to the oncology department. My parents are going though I don't really know why I'm tagging along if I'm being completely honest."

Zoe turned suddenly to face us. "Can Normani come with us instead?"

"No baby, Normani has—"

"My parents just want to corner me into dinner, which I'd go to if they just asked like normal people. Plus I'm going to be in one of the places that they'll see. It's either that or I sulk all afternoon."

Tia groaned, "fine, Normani can come with us. You're supposed to be befriending me not my daughter."

"I can multi task," I said with a laugh. As soon as Zoe had gotten what she wanted, she went back to talking to Jackson excitedly.

I called Mom to let her know what I would be doing with my afternoon instead of coming with them.

"Can I meet them too? I always like meeting people who've been with me since the beginning. I mean in terms of supporting the magazine that is."

"I'll check with her but I think she'll be fine with that. Can we do dinner this weekend?"

"Can Dinah come too?"

"If she's free," I answered with a laugh. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes, you're paying. I love you bye!"

I rolled my eyes as I texted Dinah, who quickly agreed to dinner. "There we go, we can hang out for the afternoon guilt free. Oh and my mom said she wants to meet you if you'd like."

"I'm sorry Andrea and Normani Hamilton in one day? You know we almost didn't go today because I mixed up the dates?"

"I'm glad you made it."

Tia smiled. "Me too. So who's Dinah? Your mom was really loud."

"She's my girlfriend. My parents met her recently and they've been trying to keep seeing her."

"And you don't want them to?"

Normani laughed, "it's not that. My family can be intense, and I don't want anything to scare her away."

"Or maybe you're terrified that you'll scare her away and that's why you don't want your family to get to close to her."

"Are you seeing anyone?"

"You're changing the subject."

"Because I am very single. Like so single that there's probably cob webs down there."

I frowned, "how long's it been?"

"Three years."

Despite the light streaming in through huge windows, the openness and vast amount of space as we walked through the hospital building, it was still a hospital. I sighed, remembering the hospital in Nola where Mom was treated. I hated going there, I hated seeing Mom like that, but every time Grandma and I walked into her hospital room, I'd get excited and start talking up until the time that I left.

I felt Zoe's hand in mine and the six year old looked up at me and smiled. I smiled back, squeezing her hand slightly as we walked. While Tia signed in, I played a game of I Spy with Zoe who changed what she was spying every time I was close to guessing what it was.