CHAPTER 36

I am slowly processing what he is saying.

Should I believe him? What if he's just deceiving me and everything he says is just a lie? What if they just want to hurt me?

"Do you believe me?" He held both of my cheeks and took a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe my tears.

"Why do I have this feeling that when I give you another chance, you might just ruin it again? I don't know who to believe, because both of you once betrayed me. And it's not impossible for you to do it again. F*ck these trust issues." I found it hard to speak.

"Is that how you think of me, Chloe? A cheater? Damn it! I'm not what you think, and you know that. All I'm asking for is forgiveness, even just that, please." He pleaded.

"Y-you already broke me once," I was about to stand up and leave, but he stopped me.

He made me sit back on the swing and went in front of me. I was surprised when he suddenly knelt down. He held both of my hands and kissed them.

"Ion, stand up," but he didn't listen. "Are you listening?!" I was annoyed.

"I'll just stand here if you forgive me," he said and looked straight into my eyes. "C-chloe, do you think you're the only one who's having a hard time with the situation between the two of us? D-do you think you're the only one who's hurt? I have feelings too."

I was speechless. I saw him cry again after several years of being apart.

Ngayon nalang ulit siya nagmaka-awa sa harapan ko.

“Of all the women in the world, you are the only one who has made me suffer like this. You are the only one I have loved this much in my entire life, to the point where I am willing to do anything, no matter what you say, just for you to forgive me. How many times have I begged and knelt for you just to have you back? It's probably been a hundred times, I can't even count anymore Chloe. And if you told me to, I would literally wait for you.

Tsaka lamang nagsink-in sa isip ko lahat lahat ng pag-hihirap niya noon. Naalala ko, dito rin sa mismong kinatatayuan namin, dito ko mismo winakasan ang relasyon namin. At dito ko rin nakita kung paano siya nagmakaawa at nasaktan dahil sa ginawa kong desisyon. Just seeing him struggling and hurting because of me, ay napakahirap na para sa akin.

I’m so immature.

I-ion, I’m so sorry,

“I hope you can see and realize that I’m suffering too.” Tuluyan nang pumatak ang mga luhang kanina niya pang pinipigilan.

I never thought that the time would come when he would cry in front of me again.

“I'm really sorry. I became selfish and unfair to you. I only think of myself and didn't know that you were also hurt." I now looked down and wiped my own tears.

"Shh, don't blame yourself. It's my fault because I didn't do anything about it before and didn't manage to fight for you. I'm sorry." He said, and I went closer to him to wipe his tears. "Are we okay now?"

I smiled and nodded. He stood up and leaned to kiss me on the forehead.

"Everything is settled now. Thank you so much," I sincerely said.

"Shall I drive you home?"

"Sure," I answered. "Sorry again for being childish. It's just that- hays just forget about that. May sasabihin pa sana ako pero hindi ko na itinuloy.

Nandito na kami sa loob ng kotse niya at hindi naging tahimik ang buong byahe namin pauwi dahil sa kaingayang taglay ko.

How I wish na kami nalang talaga sa huli. I can’t imagine myself marrying another man and not him.

Puro kami kwentuhan buong byahe hanggang sa makarating ng bahay namin.

Pumasok na kami sa loob. I saw Tantan sitting on the couch with one arm resting on it and the other holding the remote.

It’s already 11:00 in the evening. Uwi ba iyan ng matinong babae? Dinaig niya pa ang tono ni daddy.

Ah, eh— I didn't finish what I was saying as Ion suddenly cut me off.

"She's safe as long as she's with me. You don't need to worry." Sabat ni Ion kaya naman palihim ko siyang kinurot sa tagiliran.

Go to your room and sleep.  I just waited for you," he stood up and turned off the TV.

"I'm not talking to you," Tantan said while looking at Ion.

Mukhang may masama na namang mangyayari ah.

He approached me and grabbed me by the waist, but Ion quickly pulled me away.

I just sighed.

Damn it! Here they go again.

"She needs to sleep and rest. You can leave now," pagtataboy ni Tantan kay Ion.

Uh, Ion, maybe we can just see each other tomo—" I was about to go up to my room when Ion suddenly spoke.

May pupuntahan tayo bukas Chloe, paalala sa 'kin ni Tantan.

G-ganon ba? Maybe on Sat—

You have a family dinner, at kasama tayo ro’n Chloe. Putol ulit sa 'kin ni Tantan. Napapikit nalang ako ng mariin at pilit na ngumiti.

How about on Friday?” I asked.

May aasikasuhin kang papeles sa araw na ‘yon Chloe,

“Huh?

“Basta meron kang gagawin sa araw na iyon. Don’t ask any more questions.” Tila nawawalang pasensya at masungit na sagot ni Tantan.

Sige Ion sa isang taon nalang ulit, kbye.

Tita, pwede ko po bang mahiram ngayong gabi si Chloe? After all, she has a lot to do in the next few days, maybe I can spend the time with her now? Magalang na pamamaalam ni Ion kay Mommy na ngayon ay naglalakad na papunta sa gawi namin.

Why are you asking me? You should ask my daughter and not me. 

A-ah pwede po ba Mommy? Nag-aalangang tanong ko.

Tita hindi pwede, she need to rest and sleep. angil ni Tantan.

“This is not the first time that Chloe and I will be sleeping together. And if you think otherwise, I’m not like that. I can handle myself. I know my limitations, and I really respect her.” Ion explained.

“Okay,” malamig na sagot ni Mommy.

But Ti hindi na naka-angal si Tantan dahil talagang pumayag na si Mommy.

Wala na siyang nagawa pa so I quickly went to my room to get my things and clothes. Dali dali rin akong bumaba at nang madatnan ko silang dalawa sa baba, I saw that they were talking deeply but I couldn't hear them because they were too far away. I wanted to hear what they were talking about, but when they saw me, they suddenly stopped talking and didn't say anything else.

Hmm.

Make sure you take care of her, dahil kung hindi ay lagot ka sa akin. Pagbabanta ni Tantan kaya natawa ako.

I kissed him on the cheek and hugged him bilang paalam at sumama na kay Ion.

Kitang kita ko naman kung paano bumusangot si Ion sa likuran.