26. Promise

Sloane

"A restraining order. For my wife and kid's." I looked to my left to see both Joy and what turned out to be her younger brother. The kid was obviously dragged in to this by his sister or was doing a good job acting like it.

"You know them Sloane?" Officer Clarke looked at me as if I had who heads. Clarke was one of the cops that I had paid multiple times to look the other ways when moving weight was my main source of income. He was probably smart enough to notice she wasn't a regular.

"Yeah we have a little history." I admitted, hopping that he didn't have follow up questions. I continue to use my phone to get a hold of someone to fix the front door.

"So you don't want to press charges?" He as while writing in his notes, snapping me out of my trance. I tried to keep my voice down so E couldn't hear. I shook my head no in efforts to not only keep Joy quite but save her brother. The cop explained the process that I would have to go through to wrap all of this up.

"No just take em around the block and drop em off... For my wife's sake and stop past the club and Sy will take care of it." I shook his hand as he nodded to his partner.

"Got it." He put his pen and note pad away.

"I'll take care of both of you. Make sure those restraining orders come through."

"Have a good night and stay safe Mr. Thompson." I could tell that he knew that I would handle it in my own way. He looked at me and then to the house.

"Yeah you too." Clarke was a cop from the hood cop who needed to take care of his family like everyone else. The money I would slide him could pay his mortgage for the rest of the year.

I watched the officers drive off with Joy and her sibling in the back. E had already packed a few things to go over to her townhouse getaway for the night. There was no way that she was staying in the house with the front door broken. I walked up assessing the damage there was definitely a need a brand new door.

"I have some one coming to fix the door." I said to her as she stood at the banister overlooking the foyer. I was ready for all of the gnarly energy that she put out. I walked up the steps to see the boys.

"What do you do to these women?" She said softly. I could here her voice shake as I looked in on Khalil and then Nasir. Both boys were still asleep just as we left them. I took a deep breath and walked over to the banister pressing my palms down on it.

"What do you mean E? What does that mean? I didn't do any thing to her." I looked straight at the gaming hole in my front door.

"This is the second time that some shit like this has happened because some bitch thought they had your attention." For every step I took towards her she went in the other direction until we both stood in our bedroom.

"Don't touch me. Answer my questions babe."

"I don't know what she is talking about. She had a job and I paid her for it anything isn't true." I try to keep her calm without actually telling her to calm down.

"What is it? I'm really trying to keep my cool but it's not working." She snatched away from me. Emerald paced back and forth. I could only imagine how far her mind began to wonder. I know that she was trying to put herself in Joy's shoes and figure out why this happened.

"I don't  know why she would even think something like this is ok E. I don't fucking know." Her bottled it up and go to caused her to cry. I know that she was trying to exercise some of  the things that we learned in counseling but that went out of the window.

"Sloane you had to have fucked her, told her that you loved her, or made her think she had a chance. You had to because what else could have..." If what she was saying actually happened this will be the second time. The difference between Kai and Joy is that Kai wanted E's life style and everything that came with it.