27. Brothers

Sloane

"Pass me the sensitive skin one." Target was now my home. Nate and I were sent in a mission by our women. We proud my walked through the store with our list in hand making sure that we checked off everything.

"Wait I gotta get some rubbers." I announced our detour.

"I know good an well you aren't making me an accessory to your crimes. You still out here being reckless and foolish?" Nate wanted no parts of what I was saying.

"Relax they are for E." He paused as I continued down the

"Condoms? You must really be in the dog house." Nate pointed out as we stopped to pick up something's before heading home. I tossed the box in to the basket moving on to the register.

"Got she was going to divorce me. Using rubbers were the least of her demands plus birth control isn't an option for her." I clued Nate in on some other things. It had only been 24 hours since our home was broken in to and while the door was fixed there were still some cracks. E couldn't sleep but the boys slept peacefully. I sat up all night until E was able to settle down.

"How is everything. What exactly happened last night?" When I called my brother last night I was kind of in a panic. He, just like E, was able to help me center myself. Prior to calling him I have half of mine to go that woman's house and do whatever it took to get the answers I deserved, no matter how reckless.

"We have got to move man. Somewhere gated and structured." I scanned the items at the self check out register. Nate turned his face up waiting for me to finish. Once he noticed that I wasn't given a good enough explanation he jumped on himself.

"So Winters Grove isn't gated? Professional athletes live there Sloane." He pointed out. His statement was factual but didn't help the situation.

"That gate is for show. It's not keeping anyone safe. Now in the middle of the city in that high rise..." Nate cut me off.

"You want to move in the middle of the city? From that great big ole house to a condo?" I finished checking out and we both walked towards the door. I knew he would disagree but it didn't matter.

"It's not about the space anymore. Living in one I've the top floors will be fine. It's simply about being less accessible." Living in a building like that but at least put Emerald at ease.

"I guess it will be an adjustment but with doorman and security codes... I get it bro." He saw the vision. The gate in the community that we live in now was just for dramatic affect . At this point in my life I wanted to be able to live somewhere that I could step away from my family and not worry as much. This time no one would have any keys or a way to access our new home, it would be like White House.

"I'm taking E to see it tonight." I added as we got into the car. Nate's ears perked up as I spoke.

"Oh you are serious?" He asked me as he pulled out if the parking spot. E and I had been spending a lot of time as a family but not a lot of time as husband and wife.

"100% serious. She was really shaken up last night." First thing in the morning, right after the door get fixed I called the Rivertown Commons Complex to about their unit availably. I don't want anybody in the city, or in this world to think that they have one up on me. I have been saving for quite some time in case something like this happened.

"Moving back out to Vegas is an option but at that time we only had one kid." Going back to Vegas would give me an opportunity to be more hands in with out business on the west coast. My plans to open another location would be easier to execute on the west as well.

"Plus moving that far so soon would feel like I'm running from something again." I pressed my head against her head rest. It was like someone was preying on my down fall.

"It's like as soon as I get my relationship on track and business is good this shit happens." I took a deep breath, trying to stay positive.

"How are you going to her there?" He asked navigating traffic. I was glad he changed the subject.

"I paid her sister to keep the boys tonight. We have dinner reservations at 6 at the restaurant across the street from the building and hopefully she will go along with it man." I said in desperate need of a nap.

"You need to wipe that defeated look off your face. It's life Sloane. Now your life may be a lot more complicated than other peoples but don't let this shit take you out..." Nate nudged me as he drove. His words gave me a little encouragement.

"You have people that love you that you need to protect and that's not a bad thing. You've made some mistakes that make protecting them a little bit more import. Alright so what? You can't take it back now so I'm gonna need you to let it make you stronger and get it together." I looked out of the window knowing that he was right. I was on the brink of giving up and closing down shop because I couldn't get this family shit right.

"I never thought I would have this." I said taking my attention from the passing city blocks to Nate.

"Have what?" He asked, briefly taking his eyes off of the road.

"A family of my own. Let's be honest Jase really fucked mom up and seeing it turned me off from this whole life style." I was honest for about it for the first time.

"So seeing that I have two kids and someone that I... that I fucking adore and it's not right. It's not going The way I need it to go, and people are depending on me." I started to break down in the presence of my brother. This is something that I found hard to do even being myself.

"There are some days that I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror." I couldn't believe that I had tears falling from my eyes.

"Listen. If it weren't for you I would know what I was doing. I looked to you for guidance when Melody was born. Your sons love you Sloane. I can see it even though Khalil is barley and Nazi is a bout to hit one. I just want you to see it too."