Half a Mil

Sloane

"I'll tell you something you can't pay for and something that is off the record." Dr.Sela made me feel so small.
I watched Dr.Sela place her note book on the table that separated her.

"You don't have long before that emotional connection you have disappears. It will be sudden and you will have absolutely no way back from it. Off the record, I want to let you know that there is a man that will take care and love those kids. In other words..." She paused, shifting in her seat. My heart began to pound as she continued to piss me off. My hands were sweaty and the only way I could remain seated is was to bounce my leg.

"I get it. I got it ok."

"I know you do. You have always understood but now your wife does too. I'll leave it at this Mr.Thompson, why do you think she took it upon herself handle this situation? Why do you think she talked to Olivia or took your boys for a DNA test? Think about that for our next session." She ended the conversation with a smile.

"So you are telling me to prepare for the end of the relationship?" I asked try not to show my emotions.

"I'm telling you that there is no trust in your relationship which will ultimately end in the demise of your relationship." She said with a sigh. She wasn't telling me anything that I didn't know which made it worse.

"So what's next?" I asked knowing that what ever I was going to do was not going to work.

"Act like you love her. Act like you need her and would die for her the way you say. Act like you give a fuck about her."

"I love my family..." I shot back.

"Her! Your wife. It's clear you love your kids and I am sure that she wouldn't take that away from you. However, your children don't fill your space."  I realize that my relationship was close to being over at this rate. E was proud to address me as her husband one point, even when I needed to go to rehab and even when she discovered my mental health issues. No she calls me by my name and I am even lucky does she call me babe or baby.

"Go be present in your space. Move forward." Dr. Sela words filled me with purpose.

Home

I walked in the house and looked around for Nate. I listened to see if anyone was home. While I looked around I did see a small duffel bag by the door.

"BABY." I yelled as I walked further in to the house. I stood in the middle of our home's foyer. I waited for her response but instead she emerged from the hallway and stood leaning on the banister.

"What's wrong?" She asked. Her voice was soft and she was dressed.

"You ready to go?" I asked hoping that she would say yes.

"Sloane I don't know how I feel about leaving the boys with Erin. She is going through a lot. So is Nate." She walked dow the steps, still keeping her voice soft.

"I get it. She has been super auntie for a while which is why she can go to any island that she wants when we come back." I said as she met me at the bottom of the steps. I wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her forehead.

"She is pregnant so she can't be super auntie anymore. I'm going to need to be super auntie." She said wrapping her arms around my neck.

"That's why Nate wanted to pick the boys up. She isn't talking to him because... shit ok." I said thinking about why it took me so long to put two and two together.