16. Devil

"Speak of the devil. I'm going to take them upstairs." He had just sat down to eat when Erin saw hip pop up at the back door. Instead of her being able to enjoy the view my little back yard there was Sloane.

"Thank you." I carried her plate and Khalil upstairs behind her, making him wait a little longer.

"E!" He yelled as he saw me walk away.

"Here we fucking go." I sighed as we got to the top of the steps. I'm not even sure if I knew what I wanted to say to him.

"Thank you so much baby cake. I don't know what I would do with out you." I said as we walked in to Nasir's nursery since it was the first door. I felt bad that my 24-year-old sister spent her free time with my kids instead of doing reckless stuff in the world. However, it felt better hearing her say that she loved it from her own mouth.

"Stop thanking me." She said laying Nasir down before sitting in the floor with Khalil. I handed her the plate watching her continue to dig in.

"I hate when it feels like I'm neglecting them..."

"You have to handle that shit before you can get back to Emerald. You're a great mom and an amazing wife no matter how he acts." She took a breath.

"Do you want to be with him?" She questioned.

"I don't know anymore."

"This shit ain't no walk in the park from what I can see. I got this. Now leave us be right bubba?" She looked over at Khalil actually shook his head. She shooed me away at that instant. I kissed her on her forehead before shutting the door. I slowly jogging down the steps, past the powder room, and threw the kitchen and to the back door.

Sloane still stood at the door, now allot less upset. The redness faded from his face bringing back his carmel color.

"You have no right to pull up on my little sister like that. What the fuck has she ever done to you?" I said before letting him get what ever slick comments he had in his mind out of his mouth. I made the mistake of putting my hands on him.

"I can apologize for that. I had no right to involve her she has been nothing but good to the boys. You know why I'm upset so don't do that." I used my finger tips to rub my temples. I couldn't believe that every two hours there was another problem.

"And I really don't care. Who the fuck do you think you are. So what if he was here?" I asked. I could tell he was trying to prevent himself from getting upset. I didn't take anytime you play dumb.

"His ass showed up just like you!" As much as I wanted to keep my place low bet I should have knows that these nosey ass niggas would be the first to find out.

"How the fuck are we supposed to work on us if you are having pow wows with that nigga?" He took it upon hisself to not only sit down but make a plate. I watched him glide around my kitchen as if he belonged here.

"I'm grown as hell and I will pow wow with who ever the fuck I want to. We had a conversation and he didn't even leave the first floor for one. Number two this is my mother fucking house and I will have who ever I want to in this bitch." I yelled shedding my timid skin. I spent so much time trying to keep his feelings in tact.

"Don't be petty enough to have him around my kids." He pointed at me.

"Baby you are really missing the mark. They boys weren't here and it was a 20 conversation about how I was turning in to a person he didn't recognize." I was yelling Lowed enough for the neighbors to hear.

"I'm just saying..." he took a hard deep breath.

"If we are going to work on each other and our relationship why is anyone else still in the picture at this moment Emerald?"

"How about you actually work on us instead of harassing my baby sister and paying someone to sit on my house while you do god knows what. At least he asked me how the hell I was doing!" He softened before my eyes.

"Exactly. That's what I thought." I began to pack some food for my sister to take home when he spoke. I began slamming containers on the counter out of anger.

"You're right. I'm being selfish." He continued to stuff his face.

"You are selfish. But I'm not going to change myself because you have changed Sloane." I closed up the large plastic container, leaving them on the corner of the counter for Erin.

"Changed? Listen I don't want to argue about it. I apologize for involving your sister and questioning your motives." He threw his hands up. Sloane then  acknowledge that he knew that this wasn't gonna be easy nor was he perfect.

"I don't want you to be perfect. I want you to be present and an adult in these situations. You aren't just my boy friend you are my husband, and a father..."

"I know E."

"You don't because if you did you would see that this shit CRUMBLING and I can't be the only one holding it up!" I didn't have much left to say after that.

"This isn't convenient or ideal for me either." He started. Tay committed him or how hard he fought for me but I couldn't see it anymore.

"Im done talking."