Chapter 46

We're finally reaching the ending. And this chapter will be a swirl of emotions, trust me.

Warning: Gore and Angst

[Hayden's P.O.V]

No, no, no! This can't be happening again. I stumbled forward, and knelt on the ground as blood continued to flow out of her body. I knew it was too late. The projectile had pierced her chest. But I pushed that away. I don't want to believe that.

"Klarisse..." I started but she cuts me off.

"Don't... I know what I did..." She struggled to say.

"Why?! Why did you do that?!" I demanded. "I could've taken the hit. i would've been-"

"Fuck no!" She exclaimed, which caused her to cough harshly. I grab her hand, and squeezed it. "I- It was aimed a- at your head. I can't l- let it take you..."

"Why?" I truly didn't know why. I practically killed her boyfriend, and she does the same exact thing he did. She'll die because of the same reason. Gods, please no...

"Noah... s- saved you, didn't he?" She choked out. "Th- then he... must've had a p- perfectly good... reason to. His d- death... would've been in vain... if you died..."

My eyes widened at her words. Then I saw her, raised her right hand, and I saw something gleaming. I gasped. It was the ring. The ring Nuffink gave her. She wore it...

"I finally get... to meet him again..." She smiled weakly, tears spilling down her cheeks. "The... moment he gave this to me... it already had meaning..." Klarisse turned her gaze to me. "Thank you... for reuniting... us..."

Her last words died out, as her chest stopped rising. Just like Nuffink. Her eyes fluttered closed and she breathed her last breath. Just like Nuffink. Her hand fell loosely from mine, and dropped to the cold ground. Just... like... Nuffink. I sat there frozen. Another one has fallen because of my actions...

"Daddy!!"

I whip my head around to see Grimmel clutching Ezra's hands, forcefully trying to tug her away. No, not her too! Anger rushed through my body. I stood back up, only for a bolt to pierce through my armor. Pain shot up in my body as I crumpled to the ground. The bolt had punctured through my chest and into my collarbone. It burned every time I flinch. I hissed as I yanked out the bolt from my body, causing blood to seep out of my armor.

"DADDY!!!"

Why? Why does this happen to me? I bring pain to everyone. I'm a mistake. I shouldn't have been born. My life is just pathetic, and I deserved to be killed. But every time I'm at the brink of death, I live. When there is a chance that I'll lose my life, someone else gets their life stripped away. Is it my fault? Will every person I care about die? Is this what my life is suppose to be? A life full of suffering and pain?

My gaze shifted to the bolt in my hand. Then to Klarisse's lifeless body. Then at Ezra, who is struggling to get away as both she and Grimmel disappears from my vision.

No. It's not my fault. It was never my fault. This world... it's a fucking hellhole. Disgusting pathetic monsters has corrupted this world, along everyone else. Yes... I see it now. I remember my purpose. My reason on why I joined Drakos, and for once, the demons in my head agreed with what I'm saying. The world is a cruel place, and I, Night Fury, am here to cleanse it.

My knuckles turned white as I clenched the bolt against my hand, shattering into splinters. I began to feel something inside my body. It was like a vexing of the soul for what I felt was not human, it was twisted and distorted but it was something strong. It burned so bad like fire lacing my veins and creeping up my spine, my skin was a sore looking red but all I could feel was desire; desire to hate. I was intoxicated with emotion I had no intention of ever feeling, the acidity of it was residing in my stomach waiting to be spat out of my mouth as venom.