Chapter 35

[Astrid's P.O.V]

I am so stupid...

My thoughts were filled with Hayden's emotionless face as I accompanied Zythid in his date. How could I been so stupid? Why did I not reject his offer?! What's the purpose?! Ugh, I guess I just have to go through with it.

Right now, we're roaming around the city, sightseeing. It was a city of wide avenues and small places to sit and eat, to relax as folk went about their day. There were the sky towers in the centre, what was once thousands of homes now took up less ground space than an old shopping mall. The rest was parks and wild spaces, a chance to walk among nature or enjoy the trails on bicycles or horseback. Yet, my favorite part about it was the interaction between strangers. Almost everyone I pass would give us a nod of acknowledgement or a warm smile as if we knew each other. Maybe I've been holed up in Drakos for too long and forgot how to communicate with normal people rather than trained killers, which I am now.

"Follow me." Zythid's voice suddenly interfered with my thoughts, as he held my hand and dragged me away. I look down at our hands. They weren't intertwined or clasping, more like a hasty grab. I then look up to see where he was leading me to, until I saw the big bright sign with the words 'Jay's Jewels'. A jewelry shop...

With every bit of my strength, I anchored my feet on the ground, nearly throwing Zythid off balance. He stood up quickly, scowling. "What the hell was that for?"

"I can list ten thousand reasons but for now, I'll stick with one." I glowered at him. "Why the hell are you dragging me to a jewelry store?"

"So you could help me search for a ring." He shrugged it off.

"Ring? For who?" 

"My girlfriend."

My response to that died out in my mouth. His what?! My face creased into a scowl, as confusion continued to swirl in my head.

"You have a girlfriend?" I asked. I want to make sure I heard right...

"Yeah. Is that hard to believe?" Zythid retorted with an arched eyebrow.

"Do you want an honest answer or a Hofferson answer?" I asked him.

After a few seconds of thinking, he replied, "Honest answer."

"Then no. You're an attractive guy. Lots of girls should be chasing you." I replied honestly with a shrug. It's true, anyways. He had a lanky, yet strong appearance. But I prefer lean and powerful guys, preferably with auburn hair and green eyes.

"Wow. That's probably the last time you'll ever compliment me." He grinned.

I rolled my eyes but I couldn't help but grin back. "Alright, Adonis. Let's get your girl a ring."

Once we enter the store, I was immediately blinded. The shining sparkles of the jewels and precious stones were so strong, it casted a blinding light that lit up the entire store like a disco ball. They didn't even bother encasing them in a glass container. My eyes slowly got used to the light. As soon as I could see, I was amazed at the sight that appeared before me.

Rows and rows of rare stone jewelry were lined and displayed around the room, lying in velvet mini-pillows. Each row was designated for each kind of jewelry. One is for rings, another is for necklaces, and another is for bracelets. I felt like I was walking right through heaven with all the sparkling lights. Then from behind a counter, an old man with wrinkly skin and gray hair walked up to greet us.

"Welcome, my friends." He smiled brightly. "My name is Jay Washington, but please call me Mildew."

"You want to be called after a form of fungi?" I asked, but Zythid elbowed me and then shot me a subtle glare.