Chapter 3

[Astrid P.O.V]

I don't know how long I was staring. 2 minutes or 2 hours. It didn't matter. All I know is that the figure in front of me was the definition of fear.

Standing at about 6'2, he towered over me by at least 8 inches. With a wide frame, not bulky like Shawn but lean. A pair of black heavy gauntlets were attached to its forearms. I could tell that one hit from one of his punches could snap my jaw. His top and bottom were made out of some kind of black scales. Each scale was placed as if it were hand made, molded by fire and ore. You could see the intricacy and detail in each scale. Between each one, is a small hollow gap. Every once in a while, purple light would pulsate through the gaps like there was a hidden energy beneath the armor. His face was covered by a face mask with two air vents at the side that covered only the lower half of his face. A hood was pulled over his head, masking the rest of his face, but I could see a few strands of hair popping out of the darkness.

I'm not even sure if he's human. For all I know, he's a monster hidden under his armor. The only thing that made him human was the fact that he's shaped like a human! And I'm not even sure about that.

Okay. Breathe in. Breath out.

I'm panicking.

Hoffersons don't panic!

Think of something positive. Okay. Uhhh...

I guess if Shawn was in my place, he would've shat his pants.

True, but it's not helping my situation right now.

I gather up the rest of my strength to grab Stormfly and stand up. I may look like a crippled retard right now with the way I was staggering and trembling as I got up, but I don't care.

"Listen, you son of a half-troll. Why don't you just give up and let me murder your face!?" I yell out with a shaky voice.

What the hell did I just say?

"What the hell did you just say?" A nasally voice just said.

Huh?

I look up to see the figure face-palming! Face-palming! He was actually shocked over my stupidity! I mean, I'm also shocked but why did he have to react? At least that confirms that he has a little human in him.

The figure removed his palm from his face and sighed.

"Same old girl..." I hear him mutter.

What?

The figure raised his head far enough for me to at least see his eyes. And boy, was I shocked.

This guy probably has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. Its forest green eyes was so warming that I almost felt like I was home. It was if the entire form of Mother Nature lived in his eyes. But then I saw something different. Sure it was beautiful, but it lacked something. Something distinguishable beneath normal people's eyes.

Emotion...

They were like voids of emptiness attached to its face. Green swirled around them but they weren't glowing or revealing any sort of feeling. What's with that? I grew more curious so I took a step forward, and that was a mistake.

In a flash, the figure had me trapped against the ground with a black blade at my throat. My throat bobbed up as I gulp.

Shit. I let my guard down. I can't move. Unlike my position last time, there's no possible solution where I won't receive a sword stuck in my throat. Even if I could hit him with Stormfly, it'll be too late. I glared at my attacker and gritted my teeth. I may seem calm in he outside, but inside, I'm panicking. So far, this is the closest I am to death. I wasn't really afraid I'll die during my fight with that girl because I had a feeling that she won't kill me. Knock me out, sure. Kill, no way. But when I face him, I could feel the killing intent emitting from his body. Each move me made was like a step into killing me. And I was scared.