Chapter 45

[Normal P.O.V]

The car ride towards Pike's Peak was rather quiet. They took Astrid's Sedan for a more casual approach. Passing through rows of trees and bushes, they continued to drive through the dirt path up the hill. Hayden had a grim look on his face as he drove along the dirt path towards Grimmel's plant. In fact, everyone had the same look, but for different reasons.

Hayden was angry, no... seething at himself. Every bit of his mind and heart is telling him that this was wrong. That something wasn't right. He was going to bring an innocent kid in a dangerous plant where there's a chance she might die, and he hated himself for that.

Klarisse was still shocked and hurt from the news she received from Hayden yesterday. Only he, Klarisse, and Astrid knew what happened. Beneath her heart, is an undeniable boiling rage burning in a pit of lava. She didn't know who was she aiming her anger at, but she needed to release it somehow.

The last four were doubting Hayden's plan. It's reckless, dangerous, and worst of all, even he himself doesn't know if it will work. Astrid was worried for Hayden because the plan mostly circled around him. She wanted to help but she got a really firm and strict order from Hayden to not interfere.

The only one who had a very bubbly attitude is Ezra, who sadly, has no idea what she's in for.

For the first time, Hayden didn't want to finish a mission. To him, this was worse than the battle against Drago. He doesn't know why, but a very dark feeling inside of him is slowly rising. He tried to shake it off, but it was no use.

His eyes wandered to the rear-view mirror, where he sees Astrid talking with Ezra. Even though she had a smile on her face, it was clear that she had a lot in her mind, and Hayden knows what she's thinking about. It was about the question she asked yesterday on their date;

Flashback

Hayden and Astrid walked hand in hand along the stone path. Ezra skipped along the lines that slithered across the path. A slight breeze rustles the leaves making them fall to the solid ground one by one.The air was warm, the beams of sunlight glowing on my skin. Flowers were vast, concealing the freshly cut green grass.

For once, Hayden felt happy. He now has the love of his life by his side, a kid that calls him as his father, and each night, the nightmares no longer haunted him. It was like the dead finally allowed themselves, and himself to rest. He only wished for this day to go forever when suddenly, Astrid squeezed his hand.

"Hayden..." She said, which prompt them to stop. Her heartbeat began to quicken, as the words got stuck on her throat.

Hayden whirled around to face her, grabbing the sides of her face with a smile. "What is it, Mi'lady?" He asked.

Astrid took a deep breath, and exhaled with her eyes closed. "Do you think we'll ever have a normal life?" She said, opening her eyes and staring straight at Hayden.

He was a bit surprised at the question, and to be honest, he doesn't know the answer to that. His life is always going to be full of danger and trouble. Enemies will always be hiding in every corner, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. With his current job as an assassin, he will continue to kill and destroy. The amount of blood on his hands will only grow as his life goes on. But will that be the meaning of normal? Will normal be him, going out in dangerous missions and risking his own life? Is that the normal life he'll have?

But then he realized, it's not his life she's talking about. It's theirs. His eyes slightly widened at the thought. What does she mean by that? He decided to voice out his question.