Chapter 34

[Normal P.O.V]

The group just passed through Albuquerque, driving in Route I-25 to avoid any traffic or cops. Hayden and Ezra decided to join Astrid in her Sedan, while the rest followed in the Tesla. Hayden volunteered to drive while Ezra slept peacefully in the backseat while Astrid sat on the passenger seat. He had the luxury of taking off his mask, thanks to the people around him. The windows were tinted so it was difficult to see him from outside.

"Tell me more about the plan." Astrid said, breaking the silence.

Hayden contemplated on whether he would explain the plan in detail, because he already knows her reaction. But he could tell her about why they're going to Santa Fe.

"I'll tell you about the main plan later. But right now, we need to visit a guy in PIP." He replied. Astrid motioned for him to continue, gesturing with a wave of her hand. "Chaghatai Khan. The man used to work for Drago and a violent and dangerous mass murderer. He once gunned down an entire church, the massacred the police right after. He was only arrested just because Valhalla decided to swoop in, literally "

Astrid frowned. "If he's so dangerous, why are you meeting him?"

"If I could obtain some info from him, I could also learn more about Grimmel."

"And how are you suppose to do that?

Hayden clenched the steering wheel, his eyes looking anywhere but Astrid. He pressed his lips into a thin line, before replying, "I don't know yet. I'll figure it out when we arrive."

With a nod from Astrid, the car fell in an uncomfortable silence, with both individuals not knowing how to break it. Personally, Hayden would've been satisfied with the silence, if only he didn't sense Astrid's itch to speak. To save her the trouble, Hayden spoke up. 

"What is it?" He asked out loud.

Unable to lie, Astrid let out a sigh. "Nothing... it's just that. We never really talked."

"Astrid, you better explain even further because I'm trying my best to hold my sarcasm."

This caused her to smile, allowing the tension to loosen. "I mean, we never talked about how our lives have been. We never actually had the chance to catch up."

"If you don't call our make-out sessions, catching up, then sure." Hayden smirked, which earned him a smack from Astrid. She scowled at him, though she couldn't stop the smile from growing on her face.

"Come on, you know what I'm talking about. Since there's no one here, you can open up with me." She said.

Hayden chewed on his lip, as he glanced towards Astrid. "Nothing in my current life would interest you, Astrid. Unless you like brutal murders, and blowing up buildings." He said.

"Not really. But you could tell me on how you know Valhalla?" Astrid suggested, hoping to gain a piece of Hayden's new life.

He let out another sigh, "I guess I could tell you." He said, flashing a small smile at her. "I met them during one of my missions. I was on board a plane to Wushi from Hotan, when six men tried to hijack the plane."

Astrid visibly gasped and winced, but then she remembered that Hayden was still alive and well, so what is she worrying about?

"I was able to take them down along with the other passengers but unknown to the others, there was an F-15 right by our tail-- completely hidden from the plane's radar. It was about to shoot us down when all of a sudden, this big-ass owl crushed the jet with its claws. Then, I caught a glimpse of its rider on top, waving a strange staff. I've never seen anything like it before." Hayden snorted with small smile, remembering the faint memory.