Chapter 36

[Normal P.O.V]

"Fifteen minutes till' yard time!"

The loud voice bounced along the walls of the cell block, and into the convicts' cells. Hayden groaned as he sat up from his bunk. He looked around, and found no sign of his father. He's already been here for at least three hours and during that time, the last exchange of words he had with his father was when he first came in. They just ignored each other and pretended that neither of them were related. That would've been fine with Hayden, if he didn't need his help in finding Chaghatai Khan. He needs to learn about everything about the prison because the information he got from Wikipedia isn't enough.

So far, he knows that this prison is one of the most secure prisons in the entire country of America. It's a wonder why it was built on a small city like Santa Fe. The entire land is approximately 2.64 acres, which is about the size of two football fields. That's why they built the prison near Thompson Peak, which is a bit far from the actual city. The main cell block is about 10,000 square meters with reinforced gates that's operated in the other side of the prison. Walls made of stainless steel move in in a rectangle 2 meters deep in all directions. Armed guards watch 24/7 outside the cell block, armed with night-vision goggles, tear and frag grenades, M16s, and bulletproof vests. To make sure that there won't be any intruders disguised as a guard, everyday, when they come in, they'll line each other up, and interrogate each other. If one seemed suspicious, they'll lock him along with the other convicts. It's safe to say that it will be hard to escape once he got what he needed.

He stretched out his legs, and stood up from his bunk, dusting off his grey jumpsuit. He was lucky that his prosthetic was sprayed with a cloaking product that coated it with his skin color. Otherwise he would've been hopping along with one foot in this prison. The cell he was placed in wasn't that bad. But it wasn't exactly comforting either. The prison cell was a hollow cube of concrete, one way in, no windows. In there you could have no idea how much time had passed or even if it was night or day. It was totally disorientating by design. With the gate now open, Hayden walked out and scanned everyone. He still hasn't seen Changhatai Khan, but he knows that some of his goons are holed up along with him. 

He spotted one of the convicts who was looking at him with narrowed eyes. Beside him, was the African-American man who was threatening him when he came in. A sneer was plastered on his face, directing his gaze at him. Hayden saw him stepped forward and began walking to his direction. Hayden merely raised an eyebrow as the man's wide chest now stood in front of him.

"What you looking at, fish?" the man growled out.

"Easy now, Bear." one of his companions said.

With an unimpressed look on his face, Hayden chuckled softly. "Just the biggest idiot in the entire facility."

Some of the convicts near them turned to their direction once they heard what he said. That declaration was almost the same thing as a death sentence. Bear narrowed his eyes at him and smiled dryly.

"This ain't your first time in Gen Pop, is it?" He asked.

"Oh, no. It's my first time." Hayden replied with a jeering smile. "I'm just used to seeing ugly fuckers like you."

You could hear a collected gasp from several convicts. A menacing glare now was piercing Hayden's unfazed form. The Bear's fists were whitened due to his clenching. His eye twitched in slight rage.

"Why you mother-"

"Convicts!"

A perfectly-timed voice echoed from a PA system in the top corner of the block. Everyone stopped what ever they were doing and listened in. Even Bear's anger subsided for a moment at the sudden announcement. It was the warden, which was rather surprising since he rarely makes announcements. Whenever he does, it's always important.