Chapter 12

[Astrid's P.O.V]

I now sat in the office of one of the judges, Judge Laika. Tapping my fingers on the armrest, I patiently waited for him to call me in. The sound of the secretary's constant typing in her keyboard ticked me off. I want to break that girl's fingers as soon as I'm done with Judge Laika. When the trial ended, Judge Laika stopped and told me to meet him in his office. Normally, I would've told him to fuck off, because judging from the perverted leers he was giving me, talking is not one of his priorities. But I'm an undercover assassin now. So... here I am.

I glance at the secretary. It was the same girl who called us to the trial. I guess she's the head secretary. I wonder if she's included. Heather informed me that there's a possibility that the judges have accomplices. They couldn't possibly work alone. The lawyer from the persecution side was one of them.

Speaking of Heather, I have never seen her act that crazy before. When I told to her my plan, she exceeded my expectations. When Night Fury told us to lose the trial, I was confused at first. Then I noticed the shared glances between the judges and the other lawyer, the Mr. Cowl guy. That's how I knew he was working with the judges.

That's when a plan came to my mind. I could get closer. Act like I was a corrupted lawyer. Catch their attention. I didn't have time to tell Heather and plus, I need her reaction to be 100% real. The fury in her eyes, the veins popping out her forearms. That reaction is what I normally expected, but to be honest, that look on her eyes was ready to murder me on the spot. I needed that to show the judges that this wasn't planned. Luckily she understood immediately as soon as I told her the plan. I know it was bitchy move but I plan to ask her forgiveness later.

When I told Heather to 'act like a psychotic bitch', I never knew she had it in her. If it weren't for the fact that I knew she was pretending, I would've hid behind one of those desks until it all calmed down. At least I knew one more thing about her. She has Oscar-worthy acting.

"Miss Akira, Judge Laika will see you now."

I snapped out of my thoughts, as the secretary motioned for me to enter the judge's room. I gave her a small nod before getting up out of the sofa to meet the judge. I turn the knob, and opened the door with a creak. Once I stepped foot on the room, the door immediately closed itself, preventing me from escaping. Damn it, Night Fury. It's like that part of a video game where you can't leave a specific plane without beating the boss.

"Maxine Akira. A respected and renowned lawyer among the best. It's a miracle a murderer like her got her hands on you." Judge Laika said, his hands positioned on top of each other.

I never really got a good look at him back at the courtroom. But he looks nothing like a judge. Charcoal-black hair, worn-out eyes, and a crazy bushy beard that almost hasn't been trimmed for a decade. He grinned, showing his rotten teeth filled with yellow tartar. He wore a plain red coat with a white button-down shirt inside, and black slacks. A silver Rolex watch on his wrist, accompanied by a golden ring on his index finger. His room was tidier than expected. Oak wood flooring, bookshelves behind his desk which only contained some files and books. A large closet in the corner, probably for his suits or coats. Other than his desk filled with paperwork and envelopes, and his appearance, everything else seemed neat.

"She offered me a large amount of money. How could I resist?" I reply, remembering my role as a renowned but corrupted lawyer. I took a seat down on a chair when he offered it to me. I cross my legs, to make sure that this perv won't stare at places where no one should look at.

Fingering his ring, he got up out of his desk and circled around. "Only in it for the money? Splendid. Well, she probably won't be paying you anymore. Now that's she going to die."