XXXVII: Death's Deal

"A long time ago, we crossed paths. We were on the opposite sides of war, but didn't know it. And I got to know her. Some might say we even became friends, but that all ended when she tried to kill me."

"What do you mean 'tried to kill you'?" Rin asked.
Amarié had brought them back to the underworld, into one of her vacant rooms she used to conduct experiments in. Rin tried to ignore the dried blood on the cement floor, as well as the tension between Sesshomaru and Amarié. Those two stood on opposite ends of the cool and dimly lit room, Rin sitting on top of a stone operating table and Sesshomaru standing next to her. Amarié stood by the door arms crossed as she leaned against it. Tatsuo remained above ground with Jaken and A-un.

Amarié ignored the harsh glare she received from Lord Sesshomaru as she continued speaking, holding his gaze with her own.

"She tried to kill me but death was merciful to me. Told me it wasn't my time yet. But of course, I had to go and fall in love with a demon and that sealed my fate forever... anyway, back to the topic on hand. Unmei was a very powerful priestess, similar to me. Except she was on the side of life. Her purpose in life was to protect the saber. The Gods of the Heaven chose her. Unfortunately, she cast aside that duty for a long time. Forgot about the saber, in fact, because she loved her freedom and her power. And then she met your Father. She saved your father, Sesshomaru, from being completely absorbed by the saber, by a simple trade. A life for a life. She no longer had her freedom. She was now bound to the saber. All because she neglected her duty bestowed upon her by the Gods.

Anyway.. Back then, the weapon was nothing compared to what it is now. Unmei agreed to be the guardian, the protector of the saber because it had no master. She also had no choice in that. Inu no Taisho made her swear to protect it with her life. And she did. Because she loved your idiot of a father. If she would have never abandoned the saber, none of this would be happening right now."

Rin grabbed Sesshomaru by the shoulder, giving it a hard squeeze. His body has tensed up, and he had a threatening look in his eyes as he continued to stare down Amarié.

"You didn't think to tell me any of this?" Lord Sesshomaru growled lowly. He wasn't expecting his Father to be this involved with the saber, and let alone with a powerful priestess. He was surprised that Unmei was that close to his Father, and that she had loved him so much that she gave her life and her freedom for his. That fact angered Sesshomaru. What would make this situation worse is if his mother knew and chose not to tell him.

"Didn't seem important then." Amarié shrugged.

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed into slits, as he moved to approach her but Rin pushed him back, pushing herself off of the table.

"You've fought against Unmei before. How powerful was she?" Rin asked, deciding to change the subject before Sesshomaru actually tried to kill Amarié.

"She's like an extension of the saber. But Amaterasu favored her, and that kept her abilities at bay. You saw her kill her own sister."

"Then we can ask for Amaterasu's help."

"Bad idea." Amarié shook her head, a scowl on her face.

"Why not?"

"She was the one who wanted the saber created. Everything she does only brings destruction. There is no way she'd help you. If she wanted to, she could have destroyed the saber years ago."

"Unmei has been captured. And the saber is a threat to the existence of humanity now. How could she not help us? What would she want in return if she did?"

"It doesn't matter. She won't answer your prayers, no matter how many times you pray. She's ignorant. Cruel. There's no way for anyone to contact her."