XXXIII: A Mother's Love

I hadn't wondered once about who this Amarié woman or this little boy was. I chose to not ask questions unless it was expected of me to, or when it would be good timing. Usually I'd be a little more curious, but the topic that interested me more was that Lord Sesshomaru's mother was with this Amarié woman. The last time I had seen his mother, she saved me from the underworld. I don't even remember giving her a proper thank you.

The little boy, Taro, intrigued me as well. He looked harmless and would have been quite adorable if it weren't for his irises as black as coal, his skin as pale as the moon. I could feel a masked power coming from him, and when he opened a portal through the water's reflection to what resembled a fortress of Hell, it proved that fact much more. When I touched his skin, he was warm. There was human blood pumping through his veins, showing no sign that he was of the living dead, or a demon of that sort. It was like his abilities were injected into him. It wasn't natural.

This place was darker and colder than I had imagined. Lord Sesshomaru hadn't acknowledged my presence once, or glanced back to make sure I was alright like he usually does every now and then. He had ordered Master Jaken to stay and watch over Unmei, and I almost wanted to laugh. Unmei could easily overtake Master Jaken and A-un and get away with it. But the fact that she was staying and not putting up a fight against us proved she was on our side. If we could break the hold Tatsuo had on her, she would prove to be much more helpful as an ally.

And there we were, about to find out so much more about that demon, until an unexpected surprise interrupted us.

"I'm glad you're doing better, Rin." Taro said as he led us down a dimly lit corridor.

I frowned. "I'm sorry. Have we met before?"

"Amarié will be curious how you recovered from the poison." He said, ignoring my question.

"I'm sorry. Who exactly is Amarié? Is she your mother?"

"My big sister. Her and Lord Sesshomaru have been friends for a long time."

I didn't have time to react to his statement, hinting at the fact that Lord Sesshomaru and this Amarié woman had history together, because I stepped foot into the most complex and busy room I had ever laid eyes on. There were gears running everywhere, wires draping from the ceiling. Tools were scattered scattered everywhere, with a few large tables planted in various places around the room. It was like a maze. As busy and cluttered as the room was, it was far from messy. Everything was organized by composition and size. There was an entire table cluttered with the same type of plant. And this plant was familiar to me, used mainly for poison. But it was also useful as an antidote as well - which is what Lady Kaede mixed in the ointment for my wounds.

"What exactly does your sister do?" I asked Taro, glancing briefly at Lord Sesshomaru as he walked on ahead of us into the plunging maze.

"She's mad. A mad genius." And I could see that. A lot of the things in here seemed far to advanced for this present world. Maybe Amarié also came from the similar time that Kagome did.

"You said Lord Sesshomaru's mother is here. Why?" I questioned Taro, walking next to him as Lord Sesshomaru led the way. I would say I was surprised that he knew where he was going, but because Taro said that they've known each other for a while, it made me assume that Lord Sesshomaru visited her frequently. I couldn't help but feel jealous at that thought.

"She's dying." He said, not even trying to be discrete about that fact when her son was right in front of us. Not that they were close or anything. I knew for a fact that they weren't close. Lord Sesshomaru only tolerated her most of the time. But still, this was his mother.

"Why?"

"She got poisoned. Similar to you."

At the end of the maze was a silver haired demoness perched upon a table and a red haired maiden dressed in black. Her fiery red hair and attire matched Taro's, and I knew right away that that was Amarié.