XXI: Touch of Poison

"Rin. Rin!"

A startled voice and panicked shaking stirred me awake, as I was forced up into a sitting position.

I blinked multiple times, my head spinning. I felt exhausted, as if my energy was drained out of my body. The burning sensation was gone. My entire body felt normal. Nothing hurt. Nothing at all.

I should have felt relieved, but my head felt light. Too light.

It was Alexander's mother, the healer, that had frantically woken me up. She forced something into my mouth, a freezing cold liquid flooding down my throat.

"Alexander's in trouble. I need your help." She said, helping me up onto my feet. My head started to clear as I could finally focus on her face without her being blurry.

"W-what?"

"I gave you something to wake you up. Are you in pain?"

"No." I said, blinking rapidly.

"Good."

"Wait.. what's going on with Alexander? Is he okay?" I asked.

Instead of explaining to me what was going on, she dragged me out of the house and outside. The villagers were crowded together, their backs to us.

"What are they doing?" I asked her. But her grip only tightened on my wrist as she dragged me closer to them.

The second we turned a corner, I felt it. I felt him.

Lord Sesshomaru's demonic energy was nearly overwhelming. Which meant he was angry. This was the most furious I had ever felt him to be.

And Alexander was there as well.

I pulled my wrist free from his mother, pushing my way through the crowd and almost falling on my face as I tripped over something. I grabbed onto someone's arm to stabilize myself, before pushing through the crowd some more.

Bakusaiga's blue light struck my eyes, the ground rumbling at its power. I spotted Alexander right in front of me as I made my way to the front of the crowd, a sword in his hand as it sliced through Bakusaiga.

My eyes widened when Lord Sesshomaru appeared behind him in a flash, his hand drawn to attack, to rip out his heart.

"NO!" I screamed, running towards them. I held my hand out, forming a barrier over Alexander's back. I would never forgive myself if Lord Sesshomaru had killed Alexander because of me. Granted, Alexander probably said something stupid to provoke Lord Sesshomaru to this extent, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if he died because of me.

My spiritual barrier deflected Lord Sesshomaru's hand. I saw his body relax slightly when he realized who the barrier was from.

I was behind him in a second, running literally right into his back as I wrapped my arms around him.

He froze at the contact, only to relax under my hold moments later.

His hands moved to mine, unclasping my arms from around him. Lord Sesshomaru turned around and looked at me, relief in his usual stoic expression.