XXV: In Remembrance

"Two years ago, I discovered that a weapon sacred to Heaven and Hell had resurfaced. The last time it made its appearance was at the hands of my Father, before he banished the weapon to somewhere where he couldn't even find it." 

"Why did he banish it?"

"He couldn't control it. That weapon has a mind of its own."

I finally succeeded, over two weeks after the fire, in convincing Lord Sesshomaru to tell me what the heck this journey was about. I knew this had to do with something about that saber that Tatsuo had, and after failing to track him down for a little over two weeks, I begged Lord Sesshomaru to take a small break.

I was shocked he had complied, and now here we are, just me and him at this moment, me sitting on a large boulder as he leaned against a tree opposite of me, eyes capturing mine.

"And that weapon is that saber that Tatsuo has." I concluded.

"It was sudden. Which is why I had to leave you two years ago. It was a mission I was unsure if I would come back alive from."

"You promised me you would come back for me, while not knowing if you would come back to me alive?" I snapped at him, not caring that this was the first time my voice rose at him.

"I couldn't risk your life. Not again." He narrowed his eyes down at me, obviously displeased with my tone.

"Did you ever consider what you would do to me if you died?!" Frustration was evident in my tone as I fisted the material of my kimono, trying very hard to keep my cool.

He stayed silent, his golden eyes that glowed even brighter with the sun shining on his face taking my breath away.

"Does Inuyasha know about this saber?"

"No."

"Is this saber that important to risk your life for?"

"Yes."

I shook my head at him.

"Well your life is more important to me than this mission." I told him, straightening up on the boulder. It was fairly comfortable for such a jagged and hard surface.

"I didn't agree to speak with you alone to tell me what I should and shouldn't do. I'm speaking with you because I can't allow you to continue on with me on this mission." He said in his baritone monotonous voice, void of any emotion.

His eyes were now barren, empty of the worry he had had for me moments before.

I could feel my blood boiling as I clamped my eyes shut, taking in a deep breath in order to calm my nerves.

Not this again.

"I'm not a child anymore. You can't make my decisions for me. And besides. Tatsuo knows who I am. He's made himself clear to me that he's more interested in me than you. Leaving me behind will only put me in even greater danger."

"The saber wants your blood. I need to destroy it before it comes near you again. That's why you need to go into hiding."

"You don't think I'm capable of protecting myself?"

"I know you aren't."