XIX: A Simple Favor

The warm breeze blowing across my face woke me up. It took me a few moments to realize I was positioned uncomfortably on something that was moving. Quickly I pushed myself up, turning my head.

One of A-un's heads looked back at me, before facing forward as we walked through a forest.

Wait. How did we get on the ground? The last thing I remembered was we had taken off into the air. I thought we were going after Tatsuo.

The pain medication must have worn off, along with the effect of the weapon, because ever bone in my body burned. The one and only place that didn't hurt was my stomach - where Tatsuo had stabbed me with the saber.

I guess pushing myself in that fight wasn't the wisest move since I still wasn't fully recovered from my encounter with the two demons and then with Tatsuo torturing me.

And my head. My head was pounding. It felt like someone had shaken my head continuously.

Master Jaken was in front of us, leading the way and muttering words to himself that I couldn't make out.

I looked around, expecting to see Lord Sesshomaru behind us. But he wasn't here.

"Master Jaken."

He jumped at my voice, spinning around and pausing in his step. A-un stopped as well.

"Rin! You're awake! Finally!" He said, sounding a bit irritated. I just rolled my eyes.

"What's going on? Where are we? Where's Lord Sesshomaru?"

"There's one thing about you that hasn't changed."

"What?"

"You ask too many questions!!"

"Then answer them!" I snapped back, not really in the mood for Master Jaken's insults.

"You passed out the minute we took off in the air. We think it was from Tatsuo's weapon. Lord Sesshomaru left you with us, and then took off by himself. He instructed me to take you to a village and take care of you. But I figured you'd be fine. We've been searching for him for hours instead."

"Why aren't we flying?"

"Lord Sesshomaru ordered that we don't come after him. I, of course-"

"We have to go after him."

"But he ordered me not to!"

"He ordered you not to, but he never said anything about me." I said, grabbing A-un's reigns. I winced, the adjusting of my right leg to the other side of his back shooting a sharp pain throughout my body.

"I'm sorry. Did I forget to mention that he ordered me not to go after him because of you? See, when it was just myself and Lord Sesshomaru, we didn't have to wait on anyone. We were unstoppable! And then of course you come along and Lord Sesshomaru is suddenly vulnerable!!" Master Jaken snapped.

I sighed. "Fine. Then go. I'll stay here with A-un and find you all later. I just need to take a small break at the next village to take more of the pain medicine." I said. Usually Master Jaken's words would have gotten to me and affected me negatively, but I was more distracted by the shooting pain vibrating all up my right leg.

He seemed appalled by my response with the look on his face. And then he frowned, turned on his heel, and took off through the trees.

"At least you're nice to me A-un." I said, patting one of its heads.

A-un let out a throaty sound in response.

I shut my eyes, trying to adjust my body. I was still restless about Tatsuo and Lataya. It was no secret that his sword had a certain effect on me. I realized that now after he had stabbed me with it, and then it healed me. And then there was Lataya, who was murdered in front of me by the weapon. I was hoping that she wasn't actually dead, that the saber would in turn heal her the way it healed me. But I knew deep down I was wrong.