VIII: Crimson Moon

Fear. The fear of dying.

That feeling grew immense as a monstrous hand emerged from the ground underneath Rin's feet, as her eyes widened in panic. She stumbled slightly as her spiritual barrier melted away around her.

Kurayi was crouched on the ground, hands pressed sturdily against the forest floor.

Rin let out a cry of agony as the hand closed in around her swiftly, the sound of breaking bones echoing through the forest.

Kurayi let out a sinister laugh. He craved the screams of his victims, thirsted for their blood.

And now his hunger had reached an extreme level that he was ready to kill this girl just to appease the demon and his own urge for revenge.

-

A-un zoomed through the somber sky, as Kohaku gripped tightly onto the rope so he wouldn't fall off. Miroku and Kirara lingered a few feet back as they seemed to be flying further away from the village.

"A-are you sure this is the right way, A-un?" Kohaku asked after they had been flying on a straight continuous path for a few minutes.

A-un didn't make a sound, a certain spark of determination in his eyes.

"Kohaku! Where are you taking us?!" Miroku called out. Even Miroku was sure that they were flying the opposite direction from where Rin was.

"I don't know! A-un's the one that knows where he's going!"

Kirara let out a nervous response. Miroku ran his hands through her fur in response to keep her calm.

A-un suddenly shot to the ground, landing quite roughly from either excitement or the fact that he hadn't flown at such speed in years.

They landed at the edge of a field, the long grass swaying in the quiet wind. 

"A-un?" Kohaku asked, concern in his tone. He crawled off of the animal carefully, as A'un's attention was focused on the swaying grass.

Miroku was silent too as he got off of Kirara, sensing a strange aura in the air.

"Something is coming." Miroku said.

Indead, something was coming.

The air had shifted into something of an enigmatic feeling as the wind grew chilly.

A-un was as still as a statue, his heads lowering, waiting for something to emerge out of the grass.

And sure enough, out tumbled Jaken.

"Master Jaken?" Kohaku's eyebrows raised, eyes widened as he watched a panting Jaken push himself up from the ground.

Jaken's eyes widened when he saw his old friend.

"A-un! Thank god!" Jaken cried out, clutching his heart as if it hurt to breathe.

"Master Jaken, what are you doing here?" Kohaku asked just as Miroku walked up to the little demon. The little demon hadn't changed a bit in the past two years. He looked and acted the same as always.

"Lord Sesshomaru left without telling me where he was going again!" Jaken cried out.

He was trembling in slight fear, the image of Lord Sesshomaru's last expression carved into his mind.

There was sudden fear that shone through his golden eyes when he glanced up at the moon, eyes widening and bloodshot when the smell of blood flooded in through his nostrils. Jaken had looked up at him curiously, about to ask him what was going on, before Lord Sesshomaru had looked back down at him, his expression causing Jaken's heart to twist in pain.