XXIV: Unmei

this chapter is dedicated to AmarisNightshadethank you for all the love!

The little girl that didn't show her face to anyone but Rin appeared in the sleeping beauty's room around 3am. Akari was unaware of this child; she just assumed this little girl with the cold gaze was just one of the many apprentices she had in her spacious home.

The mysterious girl had watched over Rin the minute her journey begun. She was disguised as a crow, making sure to stay distant so Lord Sesshomaru wouldn't notice her. Originally, Unmei was ordered to follow Lord Sesshomaru since he was deemed the number one threat to Lord Tatsuo and the saber, but that all changed when Lord Tatsuo saw Rin. And it was from the moment Tatsuo saw Rin with his very eyes for the first time was when he knew he needed her. Not just for the saber, but for himself.

"My toy longs for her from the moment it got a taste of her. Follow in her shadows. I will be watching through your eyes, dear Unmei. Don't make any contact with her unless I tell you to; your priority is to just watch her until I say otherwise."

Unmei had been ordered by Lord Tatsuo to disguise herself as an innocent looking little girl. Her job was to inject a new kind of poison through Rin's brain, which would not only block out the side effects of the poison meant to minimize her pain, but to track her. Rin woke up in a daze the first time not because of what Akari had given her, but because of the effect of the new double edged poison. This had driven her to act drunk, causing her to commit certain actions that Unmei knew she would regret in the morning. Henceforth why she had to wipe Rin's memory.

Tatsuo knew he could not control her, but he did decide to insert a tracking chip inside her brain instead through Unmei's magic.

Because Unmei's job was to now gain her trust, and lead her and Lord Sesshomaru right into the heart of Lord Tatsuo's trap.

"When she sees you, she'll be reminded of her past self. This will work."

Unmei had no doubt it would work. She was an ancient priestess, preserving her form and powers through a mix of dark magic and the absorbance of the souls of the wicked. She was one of the first priestesses to have existed in this world, but what none have mastered without losing their true self is eternal life.

As keeper of the Saber of the Three Worlds, which she had failed in doing so, she was under Lord Tatsuo's influence now. He had manipulated her into thinking he loved her, gaining her trust before he ripped the saber from her protection.

Unmei's life was linked to the saber. Whoever possessed it not only held possession of the most valuable and feared weapon of the world, but also had the power to control the strongest magical being.

She hoped that Rin and Sesshomaru would break her free from Lord Tatsuo so she could kill him herself.

Unmei had her hands on either side of Rin's head, blue light radiating from her palms as she absorbed Rin's memories from the past 12 hours. She wouldn't recall anything she did, especially the one thing she'd probably want to remember; her heated kiss shared with Lord Sesshomaru.

At the same time, Unmei adjusted the tracking poison in her brain that was put in her just before she woke up 12 hours ago, making sure it wouldn't interfere with any of her regular functions. She forced herself to keep her cool, her heart tearing at the amount of darkness and evil that was flowing through Rin's system. Unmei wanted nothing more than to heal her of all of this darkness and pain Rin had built inside her, but the fact that she couldn't do anything killed her even more.