I: Haunted Memories

I was unpleasantly woken up to a series of loud knocks on my door. I turned quickly in my futon, wrapping my blanket tighter around me, narrowing my eyes. It was dark still, and I could barely see a thing.

Who has the nerve to wake someone up this early in the morning?

All I could see was a black mass entering my home. Footsteps approached me, stopping just before the steps that led up to the wooden platform.

I reached behind me for my dagger as the person walked up the steps and towards my bed.

"Rin.." The shadow person smoke with a familiar voice.

I shot up, reaching above my bed to light the lantern above my bed. I swung it in front of me, hitting the person in the face.

"Ow.." 

I had to blink several times before I realized it was Kohaku. He had his hand over his eye, trying to recover from me smacking him in the face with my lantern.

"Kohaku, what the hell?!" I snapped. In different circumstances I would have been more excited to see him, but because he decided to sneak up on me so early in the morning, I was irritated.

"Happy 18th Birthday!" He said with his arms extended, a huge grin on his face.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Dang. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed."

"Because of you, idiot!" I said, playfully punching him in the arm. He laughed in response, pulling me up into his arms as he squeezed me.

"I wanted to be the first one to wish you a happy birthday." Kohaku said as he pulled away. I rolled my eyes, allowing him to pull me up to my feet. I handed him my lantern as I moved to get my cloak from my closet.

"Thanks for that."

"I also brought you a present." He said excitedly, pulling a small box from his slayer jacket.

I opened it excitedly, not even bothering to hide my confusion when I was greeted with with an eye on a necklace. And it was moving!

"Kohaku, what-

-its called an all-seeing eye. It's a good luck charm."

"What, am I supposed to wear this?"

"Yes. It sees the truth when you can't."

"Kohaku I'm not going to wear an eyeball on my neck."

"Just wear it when you go out by yourself. Its supposed to protect you as well."

I shut the box, not wanting the creepy eyeball staring at me for a moment longer. I gave Kohaku a hug to show my gratitude, but the eye was still too creepy to wear around. I placed the box on the shelf above my bed as Kohaku manned the lantern for me.

"Now, I'm not supposed to tell you.. But Kagome has a surprise birthday celebration at her house later today." He said quietly as we both sat back down on my bed.

I smirked. Of course she does.

"So, am I still supposed to act surprised?"

"Yes. I heard she's put a lot of work into this. It's a surprise she was able to do this with all those kids running around her house."

"Sango and Miroku's kids are there all the time too."

"Ah. That's even worse." Kohaku laughed before patting my head. "I'll leave you be now. In a few hours I'll come wake you up and annoy you all over again."

And sure enough, Kohaku came by a few hours later when the sun was finally out and the light was seeping in through my window. He waited outside for me while I got ready.