The Mothers Hatred

Wayne Manor, Grand Hall
2:01p.m.

{Jonathan}

            After all these years, I never thought the day would come where I'd meet Damian's mother face to face. I've seen pictures of her before from many years ago. She doesn't look aged at all. Her beauty remains just like the pictures.
            Maybe it would be nice to finally meet her... but, I can't say that she's thrilled to meet me. My first impression of her was disrespecting my elders.
            Alfred escorted us to the main living hall which was further in the manor where we could sit and talk while having tea and scones.
            I was invited along by Bruce for which I'm grateful for but Talia wasn't having it.
            The grand hall was bigger than the normal living hall. The ceilings were higher, there's a giant chandelier with crystals hanging from it, orange lights everywhere, glossy floors, tall fancy candles and so many more.
            Grand hall? More like a ballroom.
            We were seated in front of a small coffee table surrounded by comfy sofas. Bruce and Talia took a seat on a single sofa facing each other while I sat on a long sofa located between them.
            Alfred rolled in a trolley with a tea set on it and trays of small bites such as cakes and muffins.
            Oh, and also fruits.
            He poured a cup of tea for each of us and made his way out of the Grand Hall. Usually, Alfred is quite chatty, but now he seemed like he didn't want to say a single word knowing Talia's in the room.
            Ones Alfred left the hall, an awkward silence took over. It was too quiet that I can hear the air. Bruce and Talia began sipping their cup of tea and stayed silent. Knowing myself, I can't stand being in an awkward situation so I had to come up with a topic to talk about.
            "So, Mr. Bruce, why is miss Talia here?" I ask, putting on a mask of a well-mannered kid.
            "She came to ask on Damian's condition after hearing his recent adaption to the sea." He said.
            "I see." I kept thinking of what else to talk about. "Well then, how are you holding on, miss Talia?"
            "I'm holding on just fine, Jonathan Samuel Kent." She said with a cold tone without even glancing towards me. "
            "Another reason she's here is that she's part of our mission to bring Damian home to which she will have to give us some of her blood," Bruce said which got me confused.
            "Blood?" I ask. "Why?"
            "Mera and Arthur have found a solution that has a high possibility of turning Damian back to human." He said. "They've included Raven, Zatanna and Havania as well. Three powerful magicians."
            "They need Raven for her dark powers, Zatanna, for her light magic and Havania for her universal magic... or magic from her world."
            "Three different magic sources to form a change," I said while imagining Raven, Zatanna, and Havania placing their powers together on Damian. "But then, what are you both contributing?"
            "The blood of two family members." He said. "Apparently Talia and I are the only ones who shares the his blood type. So it has to be us."
            "So, together with your blood and three magic sources, Damian will regain his legs?" I ask.
            "Together with our blood, magic, and Aquaman's trident powers, yes." He said. "Aquaman's trident holds the power of the sea to which Damian is part of it now. Arthur plays an important role in Damian's human transformation."
            "Though I never been fond of using magic as a solution, we're out of options here."
            "Make sense," I said as I lean back, crossing my arms. "Can I help in any way?"
            "Right now, I don't think you should be part of this," Bruce said as he sets down his cup of tea. "I heard from the Titans that you've been affected by Damian's abilities, causing disturbance to your powers."
            "I don't want to put you in danger. We will do this."
            "Alright," I said, upset. Though I wish to explain more, I kept silent because Talia was in the room. I felt threatened by her company.
            This whole time, she stayed silent. She hasn't spoken a word since I asked how was she doing. Is she holding a grudge against me or is she just playing silent?
            "Incoming Call, Master Bruce." A loud computer suddenly spoke out.
            "Excuse me, I think this must be urgent," he said as he gets up from his seat and leaves the hall. "I'll be back."
            Things just got worse.
            I'm left alone with the woman who has a problem with me.
            "If I recall the last time we've met, we haven't had a chance to properly talk," Talia spoke.
            Rao knows what made her speak to me all of a sudden but it's better than drowning in a pool of awkwardness.
            I turn to face her with a forceful smile.
            "Yes," I said. "I was too busy saving my mom from the bullet you aimed towards her."
            She scoffs. "If only the bullet had done its job, Damian would've come home with me from that day on."
            "Excuse me?" I ask, trying to understand her meaning. "You mean, killed my mom?"
            "Of course." She looked at me with pure anger in her eyes, even though she's smiling. "You... I wonder why Damian would waste his life on someone like you."
            "I..." I felt as if there's something stuck in my throat because I can't talk.
            "All I want was my son to return back to the League of Assassin's and take over Ra's position instead of throwing away his real potential on school, friends, family... and you, Jonathan Kent."
            "I understand your objection of Damian spending his time with me but for other things such as going to school, it's good for him." I finally manage to speak up. "He's learning a lot in school."
            "We have the best tutors for him." She said. "They can do a much better job at teaching him than the average teachers in your school."
            "What about friends?" I ask. "Everyone needs friends in their lives. Damian won't have friends if he's homeschooled."
            "Friends?" She chuckles sarcastically. "A true assassin doesn't need friends."
            "Friends are only good for one thing and that is to make you weak. Which is exactly what you're doing to him."
            It's pretty clear that she doesn't approve of my relationship with Damian. No matter I say, she will never accept it with an open mind and heart.
            Though, I can't deny that her words are true. Damian and I live in two very different world. Two worlds which are never meant to be together. But, we did ended up together... without knowing, we became a thing... and as far as I know, I wouldn't want it to end, but if it has to just for Damian to be the man who he is meant to be, I will willingly let him go with a heavy heart.
            I hope to Rao that it'll never happen.
            "If you need to separate us to make Damian stronger, please do so." I said, looking down at my feet. "After all, I only want what's best for him. I want him to be happy... and strong to survive in life."
            "Believe me, if it was that easy, I would've taken him back the day he met you." She said. "But everytime I try to convince him, kidnap him even... he would violently refuse and return to his father."
            "In other words, it's his choice. I have no say."
            "But you're his mother... a parent." I said, looking up at her. "Don't all parents have power over their kids?"
            "Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for us... both in the Bat-family and the League of Assassin's family. We choose our path and go for what we think it's best for us." She said. "It's obvious that Damian has chosen to stay with his father."
            "Thank you, Damian," I told myself in my mind.
            I'm not an obsessive person but I tend to be lost when someone I love isn't around. I've never really experienced the true loss of someone special but I know someday I will because everyone does. There's no escape to this. It's part of life.
            Rao only knows how am I gonna hold up when the time comes.
            High chance that I might join the person in death if it's someone who I really love.
            "Keep in mind, Jonathan." Talia looked at me. "I'm helping Damian because he's my son... NOT because I want him to return back to you."
            "But apparently, helping him comes in a package deal. As a mother, helping him is more important than what he chooses to do afterward."
            "Thank you," I said. "I understand your hate towards me... truly I do."
            "But thank you."
            She blinked in a confused expression and looked away from me. I can see that she's surprised by my response.
            But I do mean it.
            "Talia!" Bruce yelled coming in the hall from the entrance. He left the hall wearing a casual turtleneck and black jeans. Now he comes running in his Batman uniform, holding his cowl in his hand. "They're waiting for us in the Watch Tower, we have to go."
            "Mera and Arthur are on the way as well."
            "We'll take my jet." Talia wasted no time as she got up and started walking towards the exit.
            I remained seated because I assumed that I wasn't invited along in this mission.
            Talia had already left the hall. Next was Bruce... but he walked back towards my direction instead of following her. He places his cowl on the table and sat next to me. He hunches his back as he clenches his hands together and hangs his head.
            "We've got some information about Damian's whereabouts." He said as he lifts his head to meet my eyes. "But I'm not promising you that we're going to bring him back today."
            "It might just be a false alarm but we don't want to take a risk."
            "I understand," I said. "Can I come along? I want to help."
             "Please?"
             His eyes gaze away from mine as he stares into the open hall. He didn't respond immediately.
             "Look, I mean this in a good possible way." He starts off after a while. "I want you to stay here and be safe."
             "Damian's new form has some kind of effect on you and the last thing we want is you ending up in Metropolis hospital again."
             "I don't get a say on this, do I?" I ask.
             "No." He said.
             "Figures." I cross my arms as I lean back.
             "Please understand, Jon." He said as he places his hand on my shoulders. "I'm sure even Clark wouldn't want you following us if he knew what you've been through these past few weeks."
             "I understand. I do" I said. "I just refuse to accept it."
             "I'll stay here. Go ahead... save your son and my friend."
             I close my eyes because I felt tears forming and I didn't want him to see it. He took back his armored hand and got off the sofa. When I heard he took his cowl and began walking towards the exit, I opened my eyes to watch him leave. Tears had already formed and blurred my vision. I blink as the tears roll out of my eyes and down my cheeks and onto my shirt.
             He's out of the hall completely now. Which just leaves me here with a lot of balanced pastries.
             My eyes watered again after a while. This time, it didn't stop. I'm crying after weeks of not being able to.
             It's a good thing I'm all alone right now.
             "I wish I was useful."