G.I.T.L

Wayne Manor
4:43a.m.

{Jonathan}

Flying over here was pretty cold but it was really awesome because this was the first time I've ever flown out in the early AM. The city was absolutely peaceful... dark, but peaceful. No car horns, traffic jams, angry citizens whatsoever. Just peaceful.
          Now, I'm floating over the Wayne Manor, contemplating if I should knock on the door or just enter free will.
          I land on the porch and walk towards the door. Ones I'm standing in front of the door, I turn over and hit the doorbell which always made a satisfying ding-dong sound.
          In a while, the locks behind the door started unlocking. The door was pulled open and behind it stood Alfred which was not surprising because it is always him who opens the door for the Manors guest. However, I am surprise by the fact that he isn't asleep at this hour because he's in his butler suit which I'm pretty sure he doesn't sleep with.
          "Hey Alfred," I said, waving my hand. "Did I wake you or... anyone?"
          "If by anyone you mean the Masters? No. The young Masters are out while Master Bruce was up all night working. I on the other hand, have woken up an hour ago." He asks. "I say, what brings you here? Don't you have school in two hours' time?"
          "Yes, but I decided to skip for a while." I said. "I'm not a bad student, I'm just not able to focus even if I go."
          "You? A bad student?" He scoffs. "Far from it."
          "Anyways, do come in." He made a way for me to enter. "But I'm sorry that your visit this time isn't going to be as much fun... given that our young master is currently living with the fishes."
          "It's okay, Alfred. I know." I said. "But I'd figure if I stayed in his room for a while, maybe I can get some shut eye."
          "Why is that?" He lifts an eyebrow. "Are you having trouble sleeping?"
          "Kinda... I mean, yeah." I fake laugh. "I just... miss him so much that it's preventing me from doing pretty much anything at the moment."
          "I see... perhaps, some closure will do you good, Jonathan." He said. "Of course I'm well aware that person you're seeking closure from isn't here... but as you said, maybe if you remain here for a while, you might feel a little better."
          "You think so? Cuz I thought it was a dumb idea." I said.
          "I know so." He said. "Sometimes the very simple things in life can really put a smile on our faces."
          "Maybe you could help around the manor." He suggests as we start walking. "Master Bruce would like some assistance if you're up to it." He proudly asks.
          I never thought of coming here to do work but the idea of doing some is actually perfect. Maybe by doing some, my brain would be occupied rather than feeling sad or numb.
          "Yes, I'm up to it!" I return the proud tone he gave. "What do you have for me?"
          Alfred didn't respond instead we stopped in front of a large room with a golden bronze-plated door. He opens the door and to my surprise, Mr. Wayne's there. He's wearing a white t-shirt that was covered with black smudges, and navy blue sweat pants along with an apron over his clothes. He also had a messy hair style, metals around his body and a huge metal mask over his face.
          Putting aside his appearance, what I expect to see in a large room, especially in a Manor, is big-rich-people things like a ballroom, or a library, or an indoor swimming pool.
          But this room is a huge hardware lab. There are hundreds of tools, metals, paint, machines, occupying the room.
          "Jonathan?" Bruce lifts his head and removes the metal mask for his eyes protection. "What are you doing here?"
          "Good morning, Mr. Wayne." I said with a wave.
          "Jonathan's here to fill his time, Master Bruce." Alfred places his hand on my shoulder, which meant that he will do the talking. "Apparently the lads having trouble coping with his daily duties due to... you know why."
          "Yes, unfortunately, I do too." Bruce said sadly.
          "I mean, if you wanna be alone, that's cool." I said. "I'll just be somewhere else in the Manor."
          "No, I would love the company, Jonathan." Bruce said. "I could use your help in these gadgets."
          "Gadgets?" I ask.
          "Why yes." He replied. "This is the Gadget Invention and Testing Lab... or as we call it, the G.I.T.L. It where we invent new gadgets, test them out, repair damaged gadgets and so on."
          Now that makes sense. Usually testing or creating gadgets requires a large space to avoid accidents and other mishaps. I guess this room was put to good use after all.
          "It is really cool!" I gaze around.
          "Would you like to help?" Bruce ask. "I could use your heat vision to melt the iron bars."
          "Sure, why not." I flew towards him.
          "I'll leave the two of you now." Alfred said. "Do tell if you require an extra assistant or a spot of tea with figgy scones."
          "Will do, Alfred." Bruce said. "
          With that, Alfred is out of sight. That just leaves me and Mr. Wayne.
          I turn to see him holding out an apron that looks identical to the one he's wearing.
          "Here, to protect your clothes." He said.
          "Thanks." I took it and put it on.
           The material of the apron felt like latex.
          "So, what do you want me to do?" I ask, all ready to work.
          Bruce walks over to a cabinet and pulls out a 5 feet long metal bar. He brings it over and hands it to me.
          "Melt it with your heat vision... I'll have to use the liquid irons to seal up the damages on the Bat Suit." He said. "It might be a bit of challenge for you because it's bulletproof titanium metal which means it's going to take a lot of heat to melt it."
          "I shall try my best, Mr. Wayne." He said, looking at the metal on my hands.
          Obviously, I'm lying to myself. But at the same, maybe I'm challenging myself because I've never used my heat vision in a while. Maybe I'm underestimating them without even trying.
          "Good." He said like a proud dad. "Don't force yourself if you can't t, okay."
          "Okay, Mr. Wayne." He said.
           "Remember what I told you back in the hospital?" He asks with a smirk. "Call me Bruce."
           "Oh right!" Now I remembered. "Will do... Bruce."
           I don't know if I'll ever get used to calling him by his name. It feels so... odd.
           Anyways, I turn around flew a little farther from Bruce, I don't want any accidents to happen.
          I place the metal on a heating metal bowl and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. Through my eyelids, I felt the heat heating up and immediately, I open my eyes and aim to the iron.
          In a matter of time, the beams started melting the iron... but at a very slow rate. I inhale ones again and this time, I let out my full power towards the metal, and thankfully, the melting process gotten faster.