A Dolphins Wish

West Side of the Indian Ocean
Day Time

{Damian}

We're almost there... at least, that's what Iruka kept telling me. I'm no expert of the sea so I'll just have to take her word for it.
              I could say that I'm getting really bored of laying on the back of a whale, doing absolutely nothing... but then, I would be lying. It has been forever since I felt this relaxed. As Robin, there's always patrol, school, chores, and repeat. If night sleeps are considered relaxing, I would say otherwise because it's just a short break and then it's back to the same old routine.
              Laying on the whale with my hands on the back of my head, while watching the skies, the water current patterns, and sea creatures swimming everywhere, is like driving a long journey at night, watching the stars, and the city lights.
              It was just beautiful.
              "So what is it like up there?" Iruka interrupted the silence.
              "The human world?" I ask.
              "Yes." She responded. "What do people do? What do they eat? How many people are there? How many species of you are there?
              "Ok hold on... The human world is quite different than life in the sea." I said. "People perform numerous, there are also a a lot of food choices."
              "Like what?" She asks.
              "Does it matter? You won't know what it is." I said.
              "That's true." She said softly.
              "As for how many of us are there, I can say a lot. Like, really really a lot." I said. "We have different kinds of species as well. But not all of us get along well like the species in the sea."
              Then again, not all the sea species get along as well due to the food chain.
              Also, I am well aware that human species are called nationality, races, and religions. But for her sake, it's easier to use species. I really do not know how to explain the whole dictionary.
              "Tails... I wish I was a human." She said. "Only then will know what is really going on in your world. Maybe I can experience human activities and as well as their food."
              "Life under the sea is becoming rotten ever since my parents left." She said. "There's literally nothing left for me. No friends, nothing to do, and no territory."
              "Are you homeless?" I ask.
              "What's that?" She asks.
              "In my world, it means someone doesn't have a place to stay, no food, water, friends, family or anything left for them." I fantasized about a homeless man sitting by himself in the corner of a building. "It is where you start begging others for small changes just to buy a loaf of bread."
              "Maybe I am. I have food, obviously." She fakes a chuckle. "But, that's all I have."
              "Before you showed up, my life was just empty." She said. "It's been so long since I had an adventure like this."
              "Imagine me, being human. What will I even look like?" She laughs. "One things for sure if that I were to be a human, you'll be my very first best friend."
              "Flattery," I replied.
              "Play clownfish all you want but I really mean it." She said. "If only I had a chance to see your world. Who knows, maybe even live in it."
              She chuckles. "Wouldn't that be something?"
              This situation is literally every ocean fairytale stories in the human world where the creatures wishes they can become a creature on land and live their lives as a different being. The most famous story would be the Little Mermaid, Ariel.
              "Maybe," I replied. "If you really want to be human, couldn't you ask an Atlantian or the Sea Gods? They have powers no?"
              "Only Merfolks and Atlantian's are granted permission to possess human legs." She said. "Sea creatures, however, it depends on our life after death. If we die, we may be reborn as many other things, even a human. But of course, without our old memories."
              "Creatures of the sea are not allowed to become human until we die. When we die, only then will the Sea Gods decide what our afterlife would be."
              "If any creatures decides to go against the rules, by granting their hearts desire from a witch or false magic, shall be punished by becoming the corals of the sea or a vicious beast.
              "Sounds like a suitable punishment if you ask me," I replied. "Harsh, but suitable."
              "But, regarding your wish, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do."
              "It's alright, you don't have to do anything. I know whatever I'm wishing for is impossible." She said sadly. "I'm just glad I have another fellow-creature to share it to."
              "The sea can be a very very lonely place. And I've been alone for a very long time... and I'll probably be again ones you return back to your world."
              "What will you do, once I'm back to human?" I ask in a concern curious tone.
              "I don't know." She said. "I'll just keep swimming and let the water currents direct my way. Just like I always do before I met you."
              "I'll be, as what you call, homeless, ones again."
              I felt really really bad. Unlike the human world, homeless lives in the sea don't have anywhere to go whereas homeless kids in the human world could live in foster homes.
              I have given a thought maybe it would be nice to take Iruka home once I get my legs back. The Manor has an aquatic room where she could live but then that would be animal cruelty. Dolphins are meant to roam free in the wide-open sea. Not in a tight aquarium.
              I know if I returned back to the mainland as a Siren, I wouldn't want to be held captive in a tiny aquarium. No matter how much I miss the comfort of home, I'd rather be a free Siren in the sea than being in a tank.
              "I'm sorry, that I couldn't do much for you," I said. "Trust me, I really want to help you out because of the things you've done for me. But, I don't have the power to do so."
              "Crabfish." She immediately responded. She got up and started floating in front of me. "You did do something for me, Damian. You gave me you. A friend. That's something I never had in a very long time."
              "I had somecreature to talk to, and have an adventure. That's something, I thought I would never get again ever since Tayh Claire left." She scoffs sadly. "Though it's not going to last long, I'm thankful for every moon I've spent with you."
              "And I you, Iruka," I said.
              I know I'm crying because my chin is shivering, but the usual, I can't see or feel my tears. It's alright, the ocean knows and it'll carry my tears away, into the unknown.
              "I won't give up," I said. "When we get to Atlantis, I'll try to ask the king and queen if they could take you in."
              "I was planning to take you to my world but, knowing the human, the people won't go easy on exotic creatures," I said. "So it's best if you stay in the ocean."
              "I know." She said. "Promise you'll visit me... with or without a tail."
              "But, once I'm changed, I will not be able to understand you as I do now," I said. "How will we talk and share stories?"
              "I'm well aware of that." She said sadly. "I guess I will let the Gods decide on that. If I'm lucky, they will grant me the ability to understand and speak human language... If not, then I guess we will just have to swim together without, talking."
              "Your company is more important than conversations, Damian."
              She's willing to have me around even as a human... where I can't speak their language or breathe underwater again.
              "If that's the way it is, then I shall visit you as often as I can," I said, sitting up. "I promise."
              I raise my hand and wanted to reach for her dorsal fin, but instead, she swam closer to me and lean the side of her head on my chest. It almost the same as puppy hugs but this is from a dolphin.
              "Thank you." She said.
              I place my arm under her and gently stroke her silk-like rubbery skin, feeling quite emotional as I lay my cheek on it.