Chapter 9

CHARLOTTE'S POV

His eyes met mine as he spun around to face me sitting up on his bed. They went from nearly closed to popping out of his head within a second. The tea cup he was holding slipped from his fingers, smashing into a million pieces.

"C-Charlotte?" he stuttered in disbelief. "Is that really you? But when...how-?" his mumbles slowly died away as he stared at me.

It was amazing how his stare captivated me. It was like those big, hazel eyes had me under some sort of spell. I couldn't believe the effect he was having on me, after all these years.

"Er, yes. It's me. Ringo found me in a café earlier today," I explained. "He brought me back here, and we talked for a bit. We thought it would be funny for you to get home and find me sitting on your bed...But one broken tea cup later and I'm starting to think it wasn't such a good idea," I stifled a laugh.

I was intrigued by his reaction to seeing me sitting there on his bed. He seemed to be the starstruck one, not me!

He slowly walked over and sat down next to me, his widened eyes never leaving mine for a second. He studied me from head to toe. I had to admit, it made me a bit uncomfortable. He must have noticed, because he quickly broke his stare.

"'Ello, Charlotte," he said quietly. He gave me a weak smile. "How have you been, love?"

I gave him the same phony story that I had given Ringo, and tried to keep the focus on me for as little time as possible.

"How has the band been doing? I have to admit, I'm impressed you actually made it in the music buisness," I said, slightly embarrassed at the reminder of why we broke up so many years ago in the first place. It must have reminded him, too, because his eyes fell a little.

"Things have been great, actually," he told me, the light restored in his eyes as he told me about all the wonders of being a Beatle.

"I could have never imagined that I'd ever get so lucky," he told me, both of us fully absorbed in conversation. We sat on the bed with our legs crossed, facing each other. His hand was subconsciously placed on my knee, but I don't think he even noticed. He continued to talk about it all; the music, the fans, the adventures. Admitingly, I was kind of jealous. Especially compared to the shitty past few years I'd had.

Eventually, he asked the question I had been desperately trying to avoid.

"How's yer lovely sis doin'? Elizabeth it was, eh? You two still close?"

My muscles stiffened as I tried my best to calmly answer his question.

"Unfortunately, she passed away about a year ago," I said coldly. Paul's face dropped.

"I'm so sorry to hear that, love."

He seemed to be waiting for me to continue, but when he realized I wasn't going to he spoke again.

"Well love, you must be exhausted. We'll have plenty of time to catch up tomorrow, okay?"

He ruffled my hair as he got up from the bed. Despite my sudden mood change I gave him a warm smile.

"Okay Paul, goodnight."