Chapter 37

CHARLOTTE'S POV

For the past few days, Paul had been acting very strange. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

"I'll be be back, love," he said, rushing to put his coat on and bolt out the door. I looked up from my spot on the couch and frowned.

"Where are you going? I feel like I've barely seen you all week!" I whined. His expression softened for a moment as he walked back over to me. 

"I know love, I'm sorry. Work has just been hectic lately, I won't be gone long!" he bent down to give me a kiss on the cheek before turning back around and disappearing out the door. I sighed. This had been the daily routine for the past week now, and I was growing restless.

Pouting, I got up from the couch and decided to do something with myself. I went into the bathroom and studied my reflection. My bed hed and sleepy expression made me laugh. Turning around, I turned the shower on and waited for the water to warm up.

**********************************

Twenty minutes later, I was all cleaned up and ready to go. Go where exactly, I didn't know. But it would be better than sitting home alone. I wrapped my coat tightly around myself and braced myself for the cold as I walked out the door.

I decided that maybe I would go to visit Cynthia. Her and Julian would only be here another few days, and I had grown close to the both of them. Spending time with them would definitely help distract me from Paul being away. I briskly walked in the direction of John and Cynthia's hotel. It was nice to have another woman to spend time with, and I had fallen completely in love with Julian. I never realized how much I enjoyed being around children. Maybe one day, Paul and I would have our own...

Easy there, killer. Not so fast. A little too soon for that, huh? 

I scolded myself as I speed-walked down the street towards the hotel. Suddenly, the wind picked up and the scarf that had been tightly wrapped around my neck came loose and blew up towards the sky. Throwing my arm up, I caught it between my fingertips. I smiled, impressed with myself.

But that smile didn't last for long.

Looking up from my spot in front of the hotel, I could see directly into the windows of the hotel rooms. Tears stung my eyes and I could feel a lump forming in my throat as I physically felt my heart shatter.

There, in the window on the third floor, I could see Cynthia standing in her hotel room. Or rather, dancing.

Slow dancing.

With Paul.

I took off down the street back towards my own hotel, wiping away my tears as I ran.

*********************************

PAUL'S POV

I felt worse and worse every day that I left Charlotte home alone, but how else was I supposed to get alone time with Cynthia to plan the proposal? 

Pulling my hat down to better hide my face, I waved a taxi over. 

"Where to, sir?"

"Just the hotel a few blocks over," I muttered quickly with a mock-accent in a voice deeper than my own. I spent the short ride there gazing out the window, allowing my mind to wander. 

Of course, it wandered right to her. 

Doesn't it always?

I couldn't believe that I was planning a proposal for Charlotte, the girl that I had been in love with since I was fifteen years old. I had been absolutely devastated when she left me the first time, and it was a feeling that I knew I could never allow myself to feel again. Although, I would rather feel that pain, or any pain, than Charlotte having to feel any pain ever again. Even though losing her had hurt me, it was nothing compared to what she went through these past few years. I couldn't even begin to imagine what she had been through. She was a strong girl, and she deserved a man that knew how to take care of her.