Chapter 16

PAUL'S POV

I quietly closed the door behind me as I left Charlotte's room.

I almost felt bad for cutting her off when she tried to tell me everything, but I knew it was for the best.

In all honesty, I was a bit scared to know the truth. When I had first been reunited with her only a few days ago, I had no idea that she was suffering so much because of the loss of her sister. Now that I did know, who knew how much she was really trying to keep from me? I knew Charlotte, and I knew how she felt about me. If there was something she was keeping from me, it was probably very serious. And I was scared to know.

I had already talked to Brian on the phone just to let him know where Charlotte and I were, even though it was only a few rooms down.

I made my way into the kitchen as I began to prepare, or at least attempt to prepare, a nice breakfast for Charlotte and I. Not being much of a cook, I took out eggs and bread, planning on just making scrambled eggs and toast. Just as I popped the bread into the toaster, I heard Charlotte's bedroom door open. I looked up to see her emerge from the room, fresh out of the shower. Her long, black hair was wet and she was wearing one of my white t-shirts and an old pair of my pajama pants, the rest of her clothes still left in the other hotel room. I couldn't help but smile as I felt my cheeks get red, looking at her in my clothes.

"Good mornin', sunshine," I said through my smile, walking over to her and swallowing her in a huge hug. I knew that her and I hadn't exactly discussed our relationship in terms of where we stand and if we were a couple or not, but either way I knew what we had was special, and I felt comfortable around her.

She smiled weakly, looking almost a bit forced. "Good morning, Paul," she said, tightening her grip around me as she hugged me back. I walked back over to the eggs cooking on the stove and Charlotte sat down at the counter across from me. Putting her head down in attempt to nurse her hangover, I slid a fresh cup of coffee to her across the countertop. Smirking at me, she began to drink.

"So what are today's plans?" she asked me.

"Well, once we're all ready to get going we'll head back down to the rest of the lads, then we'll just have to see where the day takes us."

Breakfast was done in no time, and I made her and I a plate. Trying to make small talk to avoid silence, I said the first thing that came to my mind.

"I really am terribly sorry about Elizabeth, my love," I said. Only once it was too late did I consider that it may not have been the best thing to say. I was nearly on the edge of my seat, waiting to see how she'd react to the mention of her sister. Just a bit like everything else lately, I was taken by surprise.

Charlotte gave me the most reassuring smile. "It's okay, Paul, thank you."

She leaned over the small table the best she could and planted her lips onto mine. Her lips were sweet, soft, inviting. Just as I'd always remembered them, but now they were somehow better. The kiss ended as quickly and abruptly as it had begun.

Before I even had a chance to react, she got up from the table and made her way into the bedroom.

"I'll be ready to go in five minutes!" she called behind her shoulder.

I sat glued to my seat, stunned. My cheeks felt as hot as the sun.

I quickly cleaned up after breakfast and grabbed the few things of mine that I had brought into that hotel room with me. Charlotte came out only moments after I had finished.

"Ready to go love?" I asked, standing in the doorway. She came and stood next to me.

"Yep. Let's go."

She shut the lights off, but didn't go anywhere. I could feel her face right next to mine in the darkness. Suddenly her arms wrapped around me.

"Paul McCartney, I love you."

With that, she made her way out of the room and down the hall.