Chapter 18

CHARLOTTE'S POV

Paul had a nervous look on his face as we all huddled in a circle in the woods behind the park. Everyone else seemed to be giggly and anxious, including myself. I haven't done this since before I was found by Ringo, and honestly I missed it.

George slowly pulled a tightly-rolled joint out of the pocket in his coat, along with a lighter.

"You guys all ready?" he asked, looking around the circle.

"Yeah!" we shouted in unison.

George lit up and took a big hit, then started to pass the joint around the circle. John was next, then it was me. It continued to get passed around. 

"Okay, that should be enough for all of us, we shouldn't do too much," Ringo said, taking responsibility for the group. 

"Yeah, he's right, that's enough for now." Paul was quick to take Ringo's side.

"But there's nearly half left!" I complained, taking my second hit.

"Hey, let the girl finish it if she wants," John shrugged, laughing a little. Before anyone could argue, I quickly brought it back up to my lips and inhaled. 

"Char, I don't think-"

"Paul, don't worry. It'll be fine," I interrupted. He seemed a little taken aback, but he said nothing more. 

As soon as I had finished, I knew it was probably a mistake. The other boys moved in slow motion around me as I desperately tried to act as normal as possible, for Paul's sake. Although they weren't as bad as me, I could tell they were all pretty high. I went over to George. 

"George, you gotta give me some of this stuff," I said. He started to laugh.

"What a girl you are, huh? Here, I have a few more of 'em in my pocket..." he fumbled with his coat and pulled out another joint, handing it to me. I tucked it into my pocket and gave him a loose hug.

"Thanks, George."

"We should get back to the hotel," Paul suggested. I smiled at him. He looked absolutely adorable. I walked over to him and pinched his cheek.

"How cute are you!"

Though I knew he was concerned already, he broke out in a smile, threw his head back and laughed.

"We definitely need to get you home," he chuckled, taking my hand. 

Although the walk there had taken only about fifteen minutes, the walk home seemed to take at least an hour. It felt like we had been walking forever. It wasn't fun, honestly. Paul started getting paranoid.

"Someone is gonna notice we're the Beatles, I know it!" he said urgently.

"Paul, shush! You're yelling, and if someone hears you then your cover will really be blown!"

 John was silently walking down the street beside us, observing everything around him. He wasn't even paying any attention to us, really.

Finally, we arrived back at the hotel. Knocking on the door to the boys' room, George turned around to face us and bursted out laughing.

"Oh man! Brian is gonna be pissed!"

Only seconds after his name was spoken, Brian swung the door open. He eyed us suspiciously for only a moment before it hit him.

"Oh jeez, you guys look stoned," he sighed, seemingly used to the routine of finding the boys this way. "Hurry up, get inside. I was just about to leave and attend a dinner, anyway."

We all shuffled into the hotel room as Brian excused himself and went out. I slowly made my way to the couch, detatching myself from Paul. Once I sat down, I sighed.

"There is no way in hell I'm gonna be able to get back up!" I groaned, earning a laugh from the other boys. Paul made his way across the room and onto the couch right next to me. His eyes were barely open. "I'm exhausted," he whispered, collapsing over onto my shoulder. I burst into a fit of giggles.

"Anybody hungry? I can make us dinner!" John shouted from the kitchen, Ringo laughed and turned to me,

"I have no idea how he has so much energy, when I'm stoned I can hardly find the strength to walk." 

I sat there with Paul slumped on my shoulder probably for a good twenty minutes, listening to George and Ringo joke around and laugh as I stared at what I'm pretty sure was the wall. Finally, John spoke up.

"Food is ready!"

"Finally, I'm starved," I said, trying to stand up. "C'mon Paulie, food is ready..." I gently shook his shoulder. His eyes groggily fluttered open, and he looked very confused.

"Er, uhh...Food?" he stammered, and I laughed so hard I cried.

Sitting around the table, we all began to eat the pasta that John prepared. I think it may have been a bit undercooked, but then again I could have been wrong. Besides, I wasn't complaining. It could have been not cooked at all and it still would have tasted great. We all ate together, laughing at everything that was said and joking with one another. I couldn't help smiling to myself, not being able to remember the last time I was surrounded by such wonderful people.

After we finished eating, Paul turned to me. "Y'know, we still have that hotel room a few doors down checked out..." he started. I quickly stood up from the table. 

"Okay. Let's go." 

John, George and Ringo laughed.

"Oooh, and the lovebirds are off!" John giggled. I laughed with them, taking Paul's hand and heading out the door. "Goodnight, guys!" I said just before I closed the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we entered the room, Paul walked over and collapsed onto the bed. "I'm absolutely exhausted," he whined, patting the spot next to him. "Come lay wtih me." I giggled. "Maybe some pajamas, first?" His eyes already practically closed, he grunted as he pulled down his pants and took his dress shirt off, leaving only a white t-shirt and boxers on. "There. My pajamas are on." I laughed as I slipped into the bathroom to put mine on. When I came out, Paul was nearly asleep. I could tell he was trying to stay awake for me.

Crawling into bed next to him, I realized that maybe it was mistake. I can't let him get too close...

Suddenly, I was panicing. "Paul, I think I'll just sleep on the couch," I said hurridly, beginning to get up. His eyes snapped open, no longer tired. 

"What, why? Sleep with me, Charlotte."

Oh, and how badly I wanted to. I could feel the tears sting behind my eyes. I didn't know if I was that messed up or if it truly made me that upset, but I was crying. Paul urged me to get back on the bed, and he wrapped his arms around me. 

"Oh Charlotte, why does this always happen?" he asked me, combing his fingers through my long hair. I pulled back and looked at him in the eye. "I don't want to drag you down, Paul," I said, more tears welling up in my eyes. He had the softest expression on his face.

"Darling, you could never. The only direction you can bring me is up." He kissed my forehead.

"Paul," I said urgently, not knowing how to make him understand. "I'm a mess from losing Elizabeth, you have no idea-" 

I looked over at Paul, hearing a soft snore. I sighed. He was asleep. 

Suddenly feeling very drowsy myself, I got comfortable next to him, cuddling myself into his neck and resting my arm across his chest.

"Goodnight, Paul."