Chapter 23

The next morning, I woke up feeling better than I had in a long time. Hearing a faint snore behind me, I rolled over in bed to see Paul sprawled out on the bed. I smiled and leaned over, kissing him on the cheek. He grunted, but didn't wake.

Getting out of bed, in the good mood that I was, I decided it was finally time that I called my dad to let him know where I was. He must at least be a little worried about me by now. Dialing his number, he was quick to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Dad! It's me, Charlotte."

There was silence on the other line. I cleared my throat.

"Listen, I'm sorry that I didn't call you sooner, I've just been a little busy-"

I could almost hear the smile in his voice.

"It's okay, hon. I heard about the interview from nearly everyone, and when I saw you weren't home I assumed that was where you had gone."

I hesitated before I spoke again. "Do you want me to come home? You must be lonely..."

"No Charlotte, don't worry about me. I'll be okay. You enjoy your time there, I know you probably need it."

I smiled in relief. "Thanks so much, Dad. Take care."

"Wait!" he said quickly before I could hang up.

"What, Dad?"

"I just want you to know that-that I love you, Charlotte. You, your mother and Elizabeth, I love you all."

"I love you too, Dad," I said, a little choked up. With that, he hung up. I turned around to see Paul walking out of the bedroom, rubbing his eyes and attempting to pat down his tousled hair with a big yawn. I couldn't help but laugh. He looked like a little boy.

"Good morning, darling," he said with a smile. 

"Good morning, Paul." I walked over to him and gave him a hug, sighing in comfort. He was still warm from being between the covers and it felt nice. I pulled back and looked at him. "You better start to get ready, you have places to be today." 

He pouted and made an innocent face. "Aw, do I have to?"

I didn't answer with words, but instead pushed him off in the direction of his bedroom. He chuckeld. "Aw, alright." I went into the bathroom, about to start sorting out the mess that was my hair when Paul walked in, fastening his tie. 

"What are you up to?" he asked. "Just starting to get ready," I said matter-of-factly. "Do you think I should try to curl-?"

"Wait, you plan on coming?" Paul asked, and I frowned. 

"Please don't make me stay here alone today, Paul. I can't stand it anymore. I want to do something." His expression softened. "Okay, love. You can come, as long as Brian says its okay." He turned and studied my reflection in the mirror. 

"Hmmm, I think your hair looks great the way it is," he said, and I laughed. "I can't leave it like this, I have total bed head."

"It's a good look for you, love. I think I sense the start of a new trend." I giggled as he turned to face me, cupping my face into his hands. "You always look so beautiful." I was frozen in is hands; captivated. He hesitantly started to lean in, and I didn't have the willpower to stop him. He kissed me, and it was beautiful. My whole body felt as if it were sighing with satisfaction as I kissed him back, only causing him to deepen the kiss. "Oh, Paul..."

Suddenly, there was a boom as the door to the hotel room swung open. "Helloooo!" said John in a frilly, high-pitched voice. "Calling to Char and Paulie!!" I could feel Paul roll his eyes as his forehead rested against mine. "I guess we better get out there," he said, amused. We both walked out of the bathroom and into the living room, which John seemed to get a real kick out of. 

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said, voice now back to normal. "Was I interrupting something?"

"Lay off, John. She was just doing her hair and I was trying to help."

He smirked. "Is that what the kids call it nowadays?"

Paul rolled his eyes, but I laughed. "Good morning, John." 

He smiled. "G'morning." Bending over into a curtsy and offering me his arm, he said, "Is the young lady ready for her first day working with the Beatles?" I took his arm and held my hand out to Paul behind me. Smiling, he took it, and we were off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to admit, I had a lovely day with them. Brian said it was okay that I tagged along, as long as I didn't let the press get any pictures of me and basically stayed completely out of the way. I ended up spending most of the time with Brian, which wasn't so bad. He was a really nice guy, underneath all the stress of managing The Beatles. Even at all their interviews, Paul would occasionally glance my way and wink, which always made me blush. Sometimes John would notice and make a silly face, which would make me laugh. Returning to the hotel room that night, my spirits had really been lifted. We were all relaxing, joking and laughing with each other in the big room shared by the boys when all of a sudden, Brian came in. 

"Aye, Eppy, no squares allowed!" John laughed. "We're tryin' to relax!"

But Brian didn't look like he was in the mood for John's antics. He ignored him and looked right at me. "You have a phone call, Charlotte. In my room, please?" I nervously glanced around the room, and the boys looked just as confused as I was. I shrugged and followed Brian into his room, placing the reciever up to my ear. 

"Um, hello?"

"Charlotte!" said a deep voice that took me a moment to recognize.

"Martin? Is that you?"

Martin was an old friend of my fathers. He was the guy that usually made appearences on holidays and birthdays, but other than that I didn't hear from him much. What could he possibly be calling about? Suddenly, I felt sick.

"Charlotte," he said, a terrible sadness in his voice. "I have some horrible news. I'm so sorry, I don't know how else to say it, but...just a few hours ago, I went to visit your father but no one answered when I knocked. I let myself in and, well, Charlotte...I found him dead. Your father killed himself."

****************************

A/N:

Hi guys! Sorry about the cliffhanger at the end there.

I would really benefit from hearing any feedback at all from you guys, so don't hesitate to comment! I'd love to know what you think of the story so far. Thanks! :)

-Keira