Chapter 6

As I walked out the door of our house, locking the door behind me, I took the first steps down the street as the cold October air bit my cheeks.

Unsure of exactly where to go, I walked aimlessly for a half hour or so. Right from the start, I began to think that this had been a bad idea. I turned the corner onto my street, bumping into an older man.
"Excuse me, miss, do you know how to use your eyes? Be careful!" he spat at me rudely.
"Er, I'm sorry, sir," I stuttered, appalled at the rudeness this stranger was giving me. He grunted and walked off.

My spirits already dampened, I strolled through a nearby park in hopes that it would improve my mood.
I noticed a family having a picnic. It was a beautiful scene; a mother, a father, and their two young daughters, no older than 12. They were all talking and laughing with one another, the father occasionally giving his wife a kiss on the cheek.
They looked utterly happy; and I could hardly bear the sight of it. Tears rolling down my cheeks, I hurried out of the park as quickly as possible.

It was about noon, so I decided to stop at a small café. Wiping the final tears from my face, I walked inside. I wasn't really hungry - lately, I had discovered I was barely ever hungry - so I settled down at a table with only a large cup of coffee cupped in my hands. As I sat there, I grew almost a little embarrassed at my rash decision to just pick up and leave my house. Did I really believe I was just going to magically run into Paul McCartney on the streets or something? Just as I was preparing myself to take my things and head back home, I heard the bell tinkle above the door as it opened. A mysterious figure entered the café; long pea coat, top hat, black sunglasses and a rather ridiculous looking mustache. My eyes narrowed with suspicion. If you asked me, it looked like a disguise, and a pretty poor one at that.

The man ordered himself a cup of coffee and settled down at the table that was across the room from mine. I watched him as he sipped his drink and read the newspaper, the strange feeling of suspicion unable to leave my mind.

Finally, I saw him look my way. As his eyes met mine, they widened in shock. I nearly jumped out of my seat; I didn't expect him to recognize me, and his bright blue eyes captivated me. I watched him as he took a small piece of paper from his pocket - or was it a photograph? My suspicions were confirmed as he held it up in comparison to me, his eyes now nearly bulging out of his head.

I frowned. What, did he think I wouldn't notice? What was this creep doing?

Never one to be shy, I quickly stood up and marched over to the small man sitting at the table.
"Excuse me, sir, can I help you?" I asked him as politely as I could.

He appeared to be flustered, as if he hadn't noticed I had caught him looking at me or something.
"Er, yeah, I..."
He couldn't seem to find the right words as his eyes wandered around the room. Finally, he looked me in the eye and took a deep breath.
"Would your name happen to be Charlotte Bell?"
I was taken by surprise. "Um, yes."
A smile spread across his face.
"We've been looking for you, love!"