"You'll be fine," he smiled. "The weather's actually perfect right now, that's probably a sign and everything."

I shook my head, "you're supposed to me on my side Ben."

"I'm on the side that gets you bragging rights for one of the most surreal experiences in the world."

"You're good," I narrowed my eyes.

I closed my eyes and said a prayer to God and my ancestors to both forgive me for the madness that I was about to partake in and keep me alive long enough to get Dinah back. Eventually, we got into the aircraft, and since Dinah and I were going last, we sat on the far end of the bench next to each other with our instructors sitting across from us. She moved away when the plane started to level off so that Ben could attach his harness to mine. I watched her instructor to see exactly how I was attached and the woman assured me that the harness were designed to withstand forces larger than anything I could produce.

One by one, her siblings jumped out with their instructors; I could feel my heart starting to beat erratically the closer my turn got.

"It's going to be okay!" Dinah shouted over the loud noise of the aircraft. Once Kamila had jumped out, she kissed me, awkwardly, since we were both securely attached to our instructors. "Take care of her Ben!"

"I will!" We moved closer to the doorway and Ben reminded me that we would free fall for sixty seconds before he pulled the shoot. It was loud, but I could hear him counting down and I took a deep breath as I waited.

We jumped. The cold air rushed past my face as we accelerated, but instead of falling, I was floating. Below me was the rest of the world and I imagined the people hidden below in the tapestry of greens, browns and blue. I remembered the time I'd asked my dad what it felt like to fly, just before Mom had gotten sick. He'd taken me to the swimming pool and helped me float on my back.

"Imagine floating, just like this, but instead of looking up at the sky, you're looking down at the world."

He probably had no idea just how right he was. Ben said something, but it was so noisy that I couldn't hear anything. I realized what it had been when I felt a sudden hold as the canopy opened above us and pulled us out of our free fall. There was nothing more to do than trust the wind and parachute, so I did. I enjoyed seeing the world the way that birds see it and I knew in that instance that despite all my fears, my answer to Dinah would be yes.

When we finally landed a few minutes later, I felt a rush of emotion that I couldn't even describe other than that it's the feeling you get when you almost die but you don't. I was vaguely aware of the videographer asking me questions which I answered, though I couldn't tell you exactly what I said. I hugged Ben and thanked him for not killing me after he had unhooked my harness from his.

When I turned around, Dinah flung herself into my arms so hard that I lost my balance and we both feel. She giggled but didn't move. "Oh shit, sorry Mani."

"It's okay," I said, brushing her hair out of her face. "Thank you for that."

"You enjoyed it?"

I nodded, "and about the other thing that we discussed this morning, yes."

"Yes," Dinah repeated and I watched as understanding finally dawned on her. She leaned in and kissed me before getting off me and helping me up. "Are you sure that this wasn't a totally bad idea?"

"No it was good, I feel like I'm ready for anything else that you plan to throw at me."

Dinah grinned, "good, because I like to do things that are outside my comfort zone. And right now I would like to do them with me. By the way, can this experience be my next article?"