Chapter Forty-six

I WOKE UP TO the sound of the pitter patter of heavy footsteps across the wooden floorboards of the small beach house. We had been roomed by team, with the exception of the boys, of course. They were in a room opposite to ours. A very dozed off Ryenne was on my right, while she had Chesca on her right. The two of them were sound asleep.

I remember getting into a really deep conversation with the two of them last night, about how cheese is made. The two turned out to be really great teammates. Aside from the fact that they helped me steer clear of Jonah last night at the bonfire, they helped us win the dare game.

"I dare one of Jonah's teammates to go around the bonfire site and smell everyone's armpits!" I remember Zach giving me a sinister grin, thinking that I would do such a thing.

I mean, I would've, but Ryenne beat me to it. Hey, at least she saved me the trouble of having to go near Jonah and Daniel. God knows how much I wanted to avoid the two. They've been nothing but awkward last night, and I have absolutely no idea why.

After the armpit dare, Chesca and Ryenne kept doing all the dares that were given to our team, and made us win the game. The prize, however, was just packets of Why Don't We merchandise that was distributed to our team members. I had kept mine inside the bag I had brought for this overnight beach trip.

I glanced at the clock and saw that it was 4:21 in the early hours of the Thursday morning. My eyebrows furrowed, who could be up this early?

The heavy footsteps were long gone as I heard the sliding doors of the beach house's balcony open.

Wanting to feed my curiosity, I stood up from the bed carefully, not wanting to wake up the two girls. I took a white unused bathrobe from the cupboard and pulled it over my body, as I was only wearing my short green pyjama shorts and matching green tank top.  I put on my white slides over my watermelon socks clad feet and began my journey to the kitchen. Yeah, I know, I'm utterly curious but first, coffee.

After quietly stepping into the kitchen, I noticed that there was still some coffee inside the small espresso machine, and it was still hot. Maybe the person outside the balcony brewed it. I shrugged and poured myself a mug before taking a sip. I want my coffee black this morning, sue me. I then tiptoed my way out of the kitchen. I saw a faint silhouette of a boy in the balcony, he had his back turned from me so I couldn't recognize him.

The sky was still a bit dark as the sun was yet to rise. A few stars were still visible as they littered across the sky and it brought a smile to my face. I quietly walked over to the sliding doors of the balcony and leaned into it carefully, not wanting to disturb whoever was out at the balcony. I waited and observed the silhouette of the boy from afar. Who was he?

He had his back turned from me while he was humming an unfamiliar tune. He was obviously one of the members of Why Don't We, but in the dim lighting, I couldn't exactly pinpoint who. It looked like he was wearing a pair of pyjama pants that matched the color of the sky, dark blue. The light shone over his obvious well-built body that was clad in a white shirt. I couldn't recognize the color of his hair, whether it be blonde, o brown, I don't know. The light could only show me so much. After few more minutes of me openly observing the boy, I didn't quite notice that I had left my coffee neglected and cold in my hands. The sky then turned a little bit orange with pink and dark blue scattered all over the atmosphere. My lips morphed into a smile when I saw the familiar sight.

"Twilight." The word fell from my lips as a barely audible whisper.

To my surprise, the boy turned towards me as though he heard what I had said. His ocean blue eyes met mine and I breathed out a heavy sigh upon recognizing him, as I walked over to the opposite side of the balcony, keeping a safe distance away.