S2: 61 | Warmth

"I won't let anything in this world keep us apart."— Oh Fionna, Adventure Time

Chapter Sixty-one
-

I LIFTED THE coffee maker to pour myself another glass of iced coffee when a pair of warm hands encased my own, stopping me.

"The who—" I looked up and saw crystal blue eyes looking at me worriedly. "Oh it's you."

Ibiza finished preparing all the snacks an hour ago and yet here I was, still in the kitchen and drinking my sorrows for the coming morning away with my beloved coffee. I was unnoticed until this guy came around to stop me from being one with my love— coffee.

He let out a sigh as he let my hand go, "This is your seventh glass, you might palpitate."

I'm not even going to ask how he knows— but as I glanced at the almost empty coffee maker that was capable of holding 9 glasses of coffee, I realized that he probably got it from mere observation. What a smart one this guy is.

"I've been palpitating for the past hour, but I'm still alive." I did a mini-spin to show him I was alive before moving to get the coffee maker again, when his hand grabbed mine.

My cheeks flushed red he suddenly intertwined his fingers with mine. "Let's go."

"Go where?" My dumb self decided to ask as he pulled me along with him.

He gave me a side glance, "Just... somewhere."

I pursed my lips and just nodded, letting him drag me along. Before I knew it, he was letting me walk outside the cabin and leading me to the snowy planes.

"Hey you're not going to kill me here, are you?" I nervously asked, looking back and forth from the cabin to the snowy backyard.

He chuckled, the warmth of his laugh easily easing my stress off. "I'm not like that, Lotte."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Oh thank God I thought you were going to mangle my guts and make me scream bloody murder."

He just laughed at my response before stopping at a seemingly vacant spot in the forest. "We're here."

I narrowed my eyes and looked around at the vacant snowy planes surrounded by snowy trees. "Uh, where exactly is here?"

I turned to look at him but he was no longer beside me. A chill ran up my spine and fear creeped up my skin.

"Jonah?" I called out.

No response.

"Jonah, this isn't funny." I panicked as the dark snowy planes enveloped my sight. The moonlight wasn't proving to be enough light here, it's still dark

I wasn't paying proper attention when he was dragging me here earlier so I couldn't exactly run back to the cabin. Boy, do I regret not paying attention now.

Suddenly, light turned on. Fairy lights illuminated my surroundings, making it easier for me to see. The lights were wrapped around trees to make them look like they're encasing me in their warm illuminating embrace.

A soft strum of a guitar caught my attention, and that's when tufts of bleached Elsa-type blonde hair met my vision.

"Jack?"

He gave me a cheeky grin and a subtle wink before he continued lightly strumming.

"I feel like nothing was real until I met you." Fluffy brown hair and red cheeks made its way into my periphery.

My best friend's boyfriend started singing as he popped out from beside Jack, a small grin playing upon his face as he held up a pair of maracas.

I giggled at the sight of the festival instrument. "Zach, you too?"

"I feel like we connect and I really get you." Jack sang as he strum his guitar and Zach shook the maracas around to fit the tune.

It suddenly hit me— I know this song. I was binge-watching Adventure Time recently and this song came up with Fiona, Cake, and Marshall Lee.

"If I said you're a beautiful girl, would it upset you?" Zach sang.

"Because the way you look tonight silhouetted, I'll never forget it." They sang together.

My brows furrowed as I looked for another person. Was Jonah not with them?

"Oh, oh, Elora. Your fist has touched my heart." The duo sang again. "Oh, oh, Elora. I won't let anything in this world keep us apart."

If I was correct, the song was supposed to end here, but instead, Jack continued strumming and a new voice added into the song, making my heart jolt abruptly inside my chest.

"I know I may approach a little strong." I spun around and met crystal blue eyes.

He gave me a small smile that was so contagious, I felt own lips upturn.

"But I wrote my feelings down in this song. The time is coming close to say goodbye."

Goodbye.

His eyes had a knowing glint in them before it quickly faded away when he continued to sing.

"So, I mustered up the courage to give this one last try." He sang to me, his sweet voice strumming my heartstrings perfectly.

"Oh, oh, Elora." The duo sang in the background with Jonah.

"Your wits have touched my heart." He changed up the lyrics, making my heart swell.

"Oh, oh, Elora." The duo sang along with Jonah. "I won't let anything in this world keep us apart."

Jonah walked towards me and stopped when he was merely inches away from my face, successfully knocking all the air out of my lungs.

As he sang the last lyrics to me, the music, Jack, and Zach started fading in the background. It was only him and I, and the blurry snow paradise around us.

"I won't let anything in this world keep us apart."

Before I could open my mouth to react, he placed a chaste kiss on my right cheek, leaving me completely, utterly breathless.

Jack and Zach cheered in the background, howling like wolves on a night of a full moon.

Zach whooped and punched his fists in the air, "How's that for a late-birthday present?!"

We all laughed. So this was their idea. I should have known— those two always shipped me with Jonah.

"Thanks Jonah." I whispered, watching as his cheeks flushed a dark shade of pink. "You're the best."

We watched in silence and utter amusement as the two goofed around in the snow, leaving the guitar and maracas on the ground, while the fairy lights surrounded us in it's illuminating and captivating embrace. I leaned my head to Jonah's shoulder and pressed my side to his. As Jonah snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to his side with a small smile playing on his lips, a sudden warmth engulfed me.

Warmth that eerily reminded me of home.

And what was to come tomorrow.

-

a/n:

the additional lyrics to the song was written by Dangle in his Oh Fionna Extended Version.

https://youtu.be/DjTw-tLvGhA