1 | The Tragedy In Cambridge

Chapter One 
-

TICK-TOCK, TICK-tock, tick-tock. The clock's ticking sound was getting annoying, and it has been that way for the past two hours. However, I couldn't complain since that's the only constant I have in this intern lounge.

Our lounge's walls were pale blue with two double windows that had white frames. Our curtains were thin, in the color white. We had a split-type air-conditioner at the back wall and the scent was a light hint of lemon fresh. We had four cubicles. One was empty, and the other two were occupied by other interns who were at least a year ahead of me in school. My cubicle was in front, the unoccupied one was across of mine, and the other two were in the back.

It was usually so busy here. You'll never know when a doctor or a nurse would ring the phone and request for backup in the emergency or operating room. They usually ring when you least expect it.

I clicked my pen and sighed as I leaned against my chair. The pale blue walls of the office looked back at me as I kept myself from tapping my feet on the floor in impatience.

It's been two hours since I last got a call to go down to do some rounds. I'm a second year in the BS-MD Department in Harvard's College of Medicine, interning as a nurse assistant in the emergency room, however, when we don't have patients in the ER, I get to do rounds on patients admitted in the wards.

Suddenly, the glass door slid open, making me look up from my table.

"Hey Lotte." My co-worker, Dionne waved at me as she made her way to her cubicle at the back of the room. "Just gotta grab some paperwork and head out."

I nodded and let her do her thing.

Dionne Sukka is a half-japanese and half-american fourth-year student in a local community college near this hospital. She started interning here last year, about the same time as me. We're good friends and co-workers.

Internships are only supposed to start when a student is in their third year. However, due to special circumstances upon my enrollment in the BS-MD program, the only reason I got the chance to get admitted late in my freshman year was because I had to sign up for four years of internships instead of two. So that's my first year until my fourth year, luckily my fifth and sixth years in BS-MD will just be residency.

"Did you hear about the new patient?" The aqua-haired girl asked me.

"Huh?" I looked up at the girl with black eyes in curiosity. "Which one? We got a lot."

"Someone called the clerk a few minutes ago and informed us ahead of time of a new patient's arrival. I head the seniors in the nurses lounge talking about it." She shrugged as she started filing some paperwork and put them inside a blue portfolio envelope.

"They said it's probably someone famous. Got a burn from a stage prop or something."

I nodded in understanding, "Ah, I wonder who it is."

"It better not be a stuck-up celeb." She scrunched her nose up in disgust jokingly. She stood up and made her way to the door when she got her envelope filled with paperwork. "They request VIP treatments like they own the world or something."

I laughed along with her, "You bet."

She smiled, opening the door and exiting, "See ya' later!"

I waved back at her as the door shut close again, leaving me in the confines of the quiet room once more. I sighed and decided that I'd take this vacant time to clear out my revisions for Human Anatomy VI. I pulled out my binder and pen from my desk drawer and started working on the notes. Just as I was choosing a highlighter color to use for the annotations, there was a knock on the door.