Chapter Forty-Six

It was hard to sleep that night. I kept tossing and turning because I couldn't get the thought out of my mind that people were going to fight tomorrow and I wasn't going to be there.

Sure, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I took seven years of dance. I can pick up on things quickly. And while I'm not so good at using the crystals, I have been able to activate them.

Mostly, I was just trying to find a way to excuse myself to sneak off to that camp and help. The people they would be fighting were the ones that held me captive. I didn't know how badly I wanted revenge until I was told that I couldn't get it. I had to stay back.

I managed to eventually fall asleep, only to be woken up by someone jumping on my back.

"Ah-ah-ah-ow!" I said while they repeatedly bounced up and down before finally getting off. I looked up and saw Andy. She was fully dressed in what looked like their battle gear.

"Are you saying goodbye before you go?" I asked.

"Nope, they already left." She seemed awfully cheery for someone who was left behind as well. I noticed her arm wasn't in her sling.

"Then why are you here?"

"Because we are going, too. Get up, get dressed, we are not getting left behind." She stood up from the bed then threw something on it. I moved my hand over to it and it felt like the same material she was wearing.

"You're serious?" I asked and sat up. I looked at the clothes. They were stretchy and black so they allowed moveability, but then places where the body was more vulnerable- like the stomach, upper legs and arms, had hard padding protecting it.

"It's not like we're going to rush into the middle of the action, we'll just stand on the sidelines and make sure no one gets away."

I stood up and started getting dressed, even though I hadn't decided I was going. "And why are we doing this?" I asked and I hopped on one leg to pull the pants up.

"Because... because..." she didn't seem to have an answer. "Because I need to go and I want you to go with me, I guess." She shrugged.

I pulled the shirt over my head. "What about your arm?"

She moved it around in a circle. "It was just dislocated. And I have taken some monster pain killers. So let's move before they wear off."

"Fine, whatever." I went to grab my jacket and we snuck down the halls and toward the elevator. Majority of the people were already out on the road to attack the shipping yard and everyone else was still asleep. It wasn't that hard to get out. Once we did, Andy quickly started up one of the cars in the garage and we were headed off on the road.

"Do you know where we're going?" I asked and I slipped on the gloves she gave me. They were just like the one Vince gave me yesterday, only now I didn't have a crystal to put in them.

"Yeah, I snuck a peek at the map while Moira was briefing everyone." She sped down the road and I got a nervous feeling in my stomach. Not just from her scary driving in the dark in winter, but also because I had never been in a fight before. I mean, there were a few times at school when things got out of hand, but never to this extreme. Never to the death. 

But Andy said we would stick to the sidelines so that gave me a little comfort, but not enough. I didn't want to be someone who wasn't strong enough and had to stay on the sideline. I didn't want to be the kind of person who was left behind. I didn't necessarily want this life either, but if I had no other choice, I would at least want to be considered useful.

"So, was it your arm? You know, the reason they left you behind?" I asked.

She didn't answer. A few miles went by in silence before she did. "They would've left me behind anyway," she said.

"Why? Why do people not seem to like you?" I knew I was pushing here, but if she was crazy, that was something that I needed to know. I was going into battle with her after all.

"It's nothing."

"It's obviously not nothing. Vince said-"

"Really, Mia. It's nothing. The fact that I can only do nothing." I wanted to ask what she meant, but I didn't want to interrupt in case she was building up the courage to say it. "I'm a Blue, right? You would think that would mean that I'm able to do something, but I can't. I don't have a secret power, I can transform-"

"Transform?" I asked. I couldn't help myself.

"I see there's a lot they still haven't told you." She said.

I shook my head. "How can you do nothing? I thought everyone had a secret superpower?"

"Not my family. We were one of the few who faced the wrath of 'the Architect.'" She said 'the Architect' like someone would say dog poo. "He broke my family's relic and now we have no powers. We can still use blue crystals, but it's not the same. People look at us differently."

The ride was silent again. I didn't want to say anything to upset her. I barely even knew what my powers were because no one had told me. I knew I had one, and now apparently I can transform into something. I could only imagine how I would feel if that happened to me and then multiply it by a million. That was probably how she felt.

"I'm sorry," I said. "That sucks."

"Yeah, and I'm tired of people looking down on me for it so that's why I'm doing this."

I nodded but I didn't say anything. Neither of us did. Not until we got there.