Chapter Thirty-Eight

Moira came back a few minutes later with a to-go box of salad in her hand and a concerned look on her face. I tried to wipe my face to make sure all of my tears were gone.

"You mentioned something about a cat earlier?" She asked.

I sat up from the couch and turned to face her. "Yeah. Why?"

She set her salad down on the desk. "What kind of cat was it?"

"He's a calico. White with orange and black spots."

She nodded slowly. "Come with me."

She led me out of her office and back towards the elevator that went up to the surface. When we got there, the sunlight stung my eyes it was so bright.

We walked out of the mansion and down the steps to where someone was standing guard outside. Only she wasn't alone. Kevin was there and once he saw me he ran in my direction.

"How did he get here?" I asked no one in particular. He was circling around me and rubbing himself on my legs.

"Does he do this often?" Moira asked.

"Follow me around? A little yeah. I'm not sure how he always finds me though." I picked Kevin up and he purred in my arms. I looked at Moira. "What?"

"You have a familiar." She said it like I should know exactly what that was.

"A familiar?"

"Yes, a companion. If you bond with him and him with you, it creates a sort of link between the two of you. Wherever you go, he will follow and find you."

I looked down at Kevin. He nuzzled my shoulder. "I was curious about how he found me at the pet store the other day. Speaking of which, if he's going to stay here, I'll need to go get him some supplies."

"That's no problem, Andy can go." Moira pointed to the woman standing guard.

I rolled my eyes and pulled Moira to the side. "I know you're worried about me running off, but trust me, I don't want to leave. My mother went missing and the only way I'll find out why is if I'm here. Plus Andy wouldn't know what type of toys Kevin likes."

She studied my face to see if I was lying. I guess she decided I wasn't. "I want Ethan to go with you as well in case anything happens."

"Is something going down that I should know about?" Andy asked.

Moira looked like she was about to say something but then shook her head. "No, just a little on edge because of the Rutherfords."

***

When the three of us rolled up to the pet store, Ethan offered to watch the front door while Andy and I quickly picked up a few stuff for Kevin who didn't want to come down from my shoulder.

"Sorry you had to come with me on a stupid errand run," I said as I picked up a litter box and set it in the cart.

"Nah, it's fine. I usually get stuck with the grunt work anyways."

"What are you like new or something?" I asked.

"No, just the family with the least value so they treat me like... either way, I try not to let it get to me."

I picked up a bag of litter. "I'm sorry."

She shrugged. "It's ancient history at this point."

I couldn't understand how anyone with superpowers could be seen as having no value, but it looked like it was a personal subject so I didn't want to push her on it. The rest of the shopping trip was filled with small talk until we got to the food. Kevin got scared because today they were having the dog adoptions and the set up for their kennels was by the food isle.

"It's fine Kevin, it's all good." I tried to rub his back to make him feel better, but he jumped out of my arms and went to hide behind the litter box in the cart. 

I grabbed the bed out of the cart and went to put it under him when I saw a weird look on Andy's face. "What?"

She quickly looked away from the dogs and helped me with the bed, but she looked worried.

"What? What is it?" I asked again.

"It's nothing. Keep picking out stuff and look natural." I did as she said and picked out a big bag of food for Kevin while she pulled out her phone and sent a text to someone.

I continued to pick out some toys for him and a scratching post. We eventually made our way to the register when it hit me that I don't have my wallet. I was about to say something when Andy handed me cash.

I paid and we rolled the cart out of the store to where the car was parked, only to find it missing. Andy pulled out her phone.

"Ah, it's around the side."

"Why would it be there?" I asked.

"You'll see, but we need to move quickly."

We walked a fast pace to the side of the building where all the dumpsters were and a few parking spots that no one ever used. The van was sitting there running and Ethan was in the driver's seat.

"Get everything in quickly. We gotta go before he wakes up."

Andy immediately opened the door and started fitting things in the car.

"Before who wakes up?" I asked.

"Mia, help me with this." I helped Andy fit the scratching post in the van then she ditched the cart and ran around to jump in the passenger seat. I went around to sit in the back. 

Ethan peeled out of the spot and sped away back towards the mansion. I peeked into the back in the cargo area and saw a man tied up and asleep in the backseat.

"Who the hell is that?" I practically screeched causing Kevin to look up from my lap.

"Some vampire dude trying to buy a dog to get some blood," Andy said from the front seat like she was talking about the weather. "Happens all the time. Usually, we get rid of them, but Moira wants all vampires brought in because of Ellis. Maybe this guy can tell us something the others can't."

"What makes Moira think something bad is happening?" I asked.

Ethan cleared his throat. "It's not public knowledge yet. I'm sure everyone will find out soon enough."

I shook my head and settled back into my seat. Maybe a wack job like this guy who would feed off of an innocent dog deserves this treatment. Maybe. But I know for a fact that Jay doesn't. I still have no idea how I'm going to help him, but I need to figure it out soon.