Chapter Thirty-Four

I hit him. And I kept hitting him over and over and over again until someone pulled me off of him. Ethan held me back while Lauren bent down to check on the traitor's face.

"Are you out of your mind!?" Ethan yelled. I shoved him off of me.

"Do you know what he did?" I asked him.

He looked down at the floor. He knew exactly what he did. "They threatened his family, Mia."

"I don't give a shit." I looked down at Charlie. Even though he was rolling on the floor bleeding, I still wanted to keep hitting him. Nothing would ever be enough.

"Have you started going through your transformation?" Ethan asked.

I shook my head. "How the hell am I supposed to know?"

He grabbed my arm and started forcing me down the hall again. The guy who tackled me back in the park but won't speak followed us. Lauren stayed behind to look after Charlie. 

Soon, we arrived at a set of double doors. Ethan pushed through them and we entered a fancy looking office. It looked like something a CEO would have, not some leader of vigilante supernatural hunters.

There was a woman sitting at the desk with black hair sleeked back into a ponytail. There wasn't a single hair out of place. When she looked up and saw me, she didn't mask her surprise very well.

"Ethan, who is this?"

He nudged me forward. "This is Mia. The girl that the vampire's kidnapped."

She stood up and walked around her desk. "I know that. I meant, why is she here?"

"Well," Ethan started, but apparently couldn't find the words.

"Because I'm a hunter or whatever like you guys and they seem to think my mother was some sort of godsend or whatever." I rolled my eyes at how serious everyone was being.

The woman's eyes dropped down to my hands. The cuffs were still around my wrists but the chain in the middle was broken. Still not sure how I did that.

"Who's blood is that?" She asked.

"Charlie's. He's fine," Ethan said.

"Not if I get another shot at him," I muttered.

The woman stepped to stand in front of me and looked into my eyes. It creeped me out a little.

"You look just like her. Sound like her, too. Tell me, where is Lora?"

"I don't know. She dropped me off at a stranger's doorstep and ran because she was afraid of someone. My money's on you." I held up my wrist to show the broken handcuff. "You guys aren't exactly hospitable."

The woman smiled. "My name is Moira. I'm in charge of the Northern California unit. I apologize for my son's brutish tactics. Had I know, I would've brought you in more comfortably." She looked down at my pajamas. "And give you a chance to change."

"And if I didn't want to come in?"

I could see Ethan and that other guy visibly flinch when I spoke. Her face hardened, but before she could speak, the doors opened and in walked Vince. It was weird to think about it, but I felt better when I saw him.

"What the hell, Ethan? We had a deal."

"Deal went off the table. She was going to run."

"You don't know-"

"What deal?" Moira asked.

Vince didn't say anything but gave Ethan a don't-say-anything look. Ethan wouldn't look up from the floor. "Vince asked me not to say anything to you so he could convince her to come in on her own."

Moira looked furious, but she didn't say anything. Instead, she took a deep breath and turned around to face her desk.

"Before I can think about dealing with any of you, someone show Mia to her new bedroom. We will discuss this in the morning."

"Mom-"

"In the morning."

Looked over at Ethan, then back at Moira. Mother and son? Great.

"I'll show her," Vince offered. No one opposed him. Everyone started to leave the room.

"Before everyone goes off, can someone take these cuffs off me?"