Chapter Three

I woke up but couldn't move. Opening my eyes felt like I was trying to pry them apart. My head was pounding like someone was repeatedly hitting it with a sledgehammer.

I tried to move my fingers and managed to wiggle them a little, but I couldn't feel anything. My entire body was numb.

I continuously tried to move my fingers and toes hoping to get movement back into them with little result. I tried to remember what happened. Charlie came to get me in the morning. He took me upstairs through the mansion. There was an old man in a bed. After that it's blank.

The feeling started to come back in my fingers and toes and it started working it's way up my hands and feet. I felt cold. So cold.

"You might not want to do that."

I was shocked and turned my head to see someone sitting in the cell with me. He had golden blonde hair that was cut shaggy and he was wearing a plain white t-shirt and jeans. He had a look on his face that gave no indication that he was aware he was in a cage.

"Who are you?" I asked with difficulty. The words came out of my mouth slow like syrup. The feeling in my hands and feet came back and was making its way up to my wrists and ankles.

"Jay. And seriously, stop doing that."

"Stop doing what?"

"Trying to wake your body up. The venom will wear off soon but if you force it, you won't like what happens."

I didn't listen to his advice and kept moving what I could to get the feeling back. "And why should I listen to you?"

"Because I know more than you," he said it so confidently and snarky and even added a smirk to his face while he said it. I definitely did not like this guy.

"Well, I would prefer to have feeling in my body, so I can come up with a way out of- AHHH!" The feeling came back to my wrists and started to burn. My body started writhing out of control and I couldn't help but scream. The pain was so intense I couldn't see.

Jay came over and tried to hold me down against the bed. "It's okay, but now you have to go through it."

It was the most blinding pain I had ever experienced. I couldn't see, couldn't smell, couldn't hear anything besides my screams. I bit my tongue so hard it started bleeding and turned my screams into loud gurgling and choking.

Jay flipped my body off the cot and onto the floor so I wouldn't choke. I coughed up blood onto the concrete floor and then set my head down. It was in a puddle of my own blood but I didn't care. My entire body was on fire and nothing would stop it.

I don't know how long that went on for before it started to subside. I was drenched in sweat and I had blood on my face, but I didn't care. I could feel my body again and it ached.

"What was that?" I asked him, I was still laying on the floor on my stomach. If I moved my body screamed.

"It's the venom. A paralytic to keep you from fighting back and if you do, it turns your body against you."

"Venom from what? Did a snake get in here?"

He sighed. "From them. From when Grandpa Ellis bit you."

"Nobody bit-" then it all came back. The old man in the bed. Charlie forcing my arm towards him. The old man biting me. Me falling on the floor unable to feel anything. "What happened? What is he?"

"A vampire. Hence why he bit you. He drank your blood." He sounded annoyed and I did not appreciate his tone.

I tried to sit up but my head started pounding again. "Why are they doing this?"

"Because Grandpa Ellis got shot. And he needed someone to heal him. Fresh blood has more kick to it that blood from a bag."

It took everything in me not to retch again.

"Do you think you can sit up and eat? I brought you something."

Brought me something? So he wasn't another prisoner. He was one of them making sure I wasn't dead. Probably so they could use me to feed someone else.

"I don't need it."

"You lost a significant amount of blood. You need to eat something or you will die." I heard some rustling and the crack of plastic. "I brought you some water and a sandwich."

He set them down on the floor next to my head. It was nothing special and it probably came with strings attached, but the growl in my stomach and my dry lips didn't care about that.

Jay helped me sit up and I took tiny sips of the water and nibbled on the sandwich. It was just ham, cheese, and lettuce which I normally don't like but I would've eaten anything.

"So, I don't know how long they're going to keep you down here," Jay said. "But I do know they would only drink from you if they were dying. So, it's likely that won't be for a while."

"So, they'll just keep me locked down here like an emergency first aid kit?"

"That's kind of the point of it, yeah." He bit his lip. "I'm not exactly comfortable with all of this, but I'm not in charge. I don't make the rules."

"Your rules are stupid," I said with a mouthful of food.

He nodded. "I'll make sure you're taken care of down here. But I can't do much more than that."

I finished the sandwich and felt a million times better. I chugged the rest of the water and my throbbing headache had subsided to a dull ache.

I threw my trash at him. "If you aren't going to let me out, then leave." I looked him dead in the eye so he knew I wasn't kidding. He picked up the empty water bottle and cellophane wrapper and exited my cage, locking the door behind him.