Chapter Twenty-Seven

"What was that?" Darren asked. He turned back to keep his eyes on the road. I dove back down onto the seat and tried to hide my face with my hood.

"What was what?" I asked, trying to play dumb.

"That! Your face! It was like glowing or something!" The car swerved a little like he was trying to turn around and get another look at me.

"Really? Are you sure? Maybe it was a reflection of the headlights of that other car?" I didn't know if he would buy it, but I had to try something. I just needed to get home and figure out how to turn this off.

"I don't know. It didn't look like that."

"I'm sure it was. Why else would my face be glowing." I tried to laugh it off, but Darren didn't seem too convinced.

Eventually, we arrived at my house. The second the car stopped I quickly thanked him for the ride and burst out of the car before he could ask any more questions about my face.

"Wait, Mia. Turn around for a second."

I kept my back to him. "Why?"

"I just want to check and make sure everything is okay."

There was no way out of this. Not turning around would have made him more suspicious. But turning around would mean he would see my glow bug face. The light from the streetlamps didn't help the situation and I felt myself start to sweat. I just wanted it to go away. Slowly I turned around. He saw my face. He sighed.

"I need to get some sleep. I could've sworn there was something weird going on with your face. Well, goodnight." He waved and then got in his car and left.

I held up my hand to look at it and saw that it wasn't glowing, but why not? What made it go away?

Light? I looked up at the street lamp that looked a little brighter than normal. Some weird shit was going on, and I needed to get to the bottom of it. But I needed to make sure I didn't back myself into something I couldn't get out of.

The streetlamp started glowing brighter and brighter and then the bulb shattered. I looked at my hands. Still not glowing.

I was scared, but I needed to know. I ran back into the house. My parents were watching tv and tried to ask me how the party was. I ducked by them and said it was fine.

Once I was in my room, I closed the door, locked it, and stuck some of my dirty clothes in the bottom to make sure no sound would get out. I searched through my trash for that tiny post-it and when I found it, I dialed the number.

He answered in only two rings. I wonder what he was doing up so late.

"Hey," Vince said.

"Hey," I said back. I wasn't sure how to start this. "I'm ready to talk."

***

I know it's a little short, but I'm just trying to get back into my writing. I promise the chapter length will get longer soon.

Either way, I am back and will be posting on a schedule. Check on Tuesdays and Thursdays for updates.

Thank you all for reading and liking!