Chapter Twenty-Nine

Her face was pale and she wouldn't look up from her food.

"Mia?" Vince asked. She looked up and looked shocked to find herself still in the diner. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." She messed around with her food but didn't take a bite.

"You sure?"

"Yes," she snapped.

"Okay, just checking."

They went silent for a few minutes while Vince finished the rest of his pancakes and Mia continued to make circles in the syrup with her fork.

"So, was that your only question?" Vince asked once his plate was clean.

"What what my only question?"

"What we are? I'm kind of hoping something more could come out of this meeting other than a school lesson."

Mia looked up at the ceiling light then back down at Vince. She looked concerned, but only for a second before her face went back to a blank slate. "I just, uh, was curious. I spend all of my time thinking lately since my parents pulled me out of school and my mind can't help but wonder."

"So, there's nothing else you want to know?" He could tell that she was lying about something, but he wasn't sure what. "Because you can ask me anything."

She took a sip of her water and wouldn't lift her eyes from the table. "It's nothing now. I think I need to get something out of the way before I ask anything else."

Vince nodded. "I am not sure where you're going with this, but you have my number when you're ready." He was about to get up when she stopped him.

"Wait, I do have one last question."

"Shoot."

"I think my so-called powers have started to manifest. Is there any way to get them to stop?" There was desperation and fear in her eyes.

"Unfortunately, once the transformation starts, you can't stop it. It'll come in short, powerful bursts at first. Then, one day it just won't go away." He could tell that wasn't the answer she wanted to hear, but she accepted it nonetheless.

He stood up from the booth and set a few bills down on the table to cover their meal. "You aren't alone, Mia. The sooner you realize that the better this will be for you."

***

Vince wasn't happy with how things went this morning with Mia. Then again, things never went very well when she was involved. He felt jumpy so he knew he needed to get some training in.

He opened the door to his room and found Ethan waiting for him. He was sitting in a chair in the corner and didn't look very happy.

"What do you want?" Vince asked.

"You. My mother called an emergency meeting this morning and you didn't show up."

"I was out for some fresh air."

"Why was your phone off?"

"Because I don't like to be disturbed when I'm out in nature."

Ethan stood up. "You're lying. I don't much care about where you were, but my mother will. And she will have a lot of questions that she expects answers to. So, you better get your story straight."

Vince couldn't tell, but it was like Ethan knew exactly where Vince was and was warning him not to say anything to Moira.

Ethan tried to pass by him but Vince grabbed his arm to stop him. "I might have to step out again for some fresh air tomorrow. Could you cover for me?"

Ethan sighed. "Please tell me why we aren't just bringing her in?"

"Because I think she wants to, but not yet. She told me she needed to take care of something and we would meet up again. I think she wants to say goodbye to everyone."

Ethan nodded. "You have one more meeting. If she still doesn't come in, I'm going to have to get my mother involved."

"She has more important things to worry about, don't you think?"

"Maybe, but if Mia is who I think she is, she's exactly who we need to go head to head with these vampires."

"And who do you think she is?"

Ethan shook his head at Vince's ignorance. "You're telling me her face isn't familiar?"