Chapter Forty-One

My victory of freezing the monster was shortlived when I noticed that it also froze the hand that was holding me up.

I removed the sword from its head and tried to hit the arm to get it to break off. It snapped and I fell to the floor and hit my head. Everything went blurry, and I felt a sharp pain in my stomach.

My eyes wanted to shut and I rolled over onto my back. Looking down at my belly I saw red.

"Mia?" Someone said. I couldn't place the voice. "Mia!" They sounded panicked. I could see a dark shape above me before everything went black.

***

I faded in and out of consciousness. When I woke up, I couldn't hear anything and all I saw were shadows. I felt something hot burn my stomach, then I faded out again.

I woke up again. And I felt something cool on my forehead. My stomach started to feel like fire. Someone put their hand over my mouth and I realized I was screaming. I fell asleep.

The third time I woke up for good. I opened my eyes and saw the boring grey ceiling of the infirmary. Looking around, there were a lot of people in there getting treated. One of them wasn't though, like me. And I saw a green crystal strapped to their forehead. I felt my forehead and found one, too.

"You're lucky you weren't killed."

I looked to my bedside and saw Vince sitting there with a smirk.

"You're lucky you weren't either. What is this thing?" I pointed to the green crystal.

"That is a healing crystal. Very handy, but again, only certain people can use it. The rest of us..." I looked around the room and saw people in much worse conditions than me.

"It must suck having these things that do all of these powers and the majority of them you can't even use." I looked down at my stomach. There was a large bandage covering the right side that was stained with blood.

"We covered it up to stop the bleeding. Let's see if it's done healing." He peeled back the bandage. There was still blood underneath, but there was no wound. Just four white circles, each one the size of a dime.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Well, it looks like when you fell from that thing's grasp, you landed and his claws went into your stomach. I had to melt them to get them out."

I sat up and he handed me a cup of water. I was so thirsty I chugged the whole thing. "What the hell was that thing?"

"A ghoul. A nightwalker just like the vampires." He shook his head. "But I don't get it. The sun was still out."

"What does the sun have to do with anything?"

"Nightwalkers only have their powers at night. A vampire is human during the day, a monster at night. A werewolf is human during the day, a wolf at night. A ghoul is unconscious during the day and awake at night. How was it awake?"

I shrugged. 

"Anyway, are you up for an emergency meeting?" he asked.

"I guess."

He helped me off the cot. "You should keep that thing on until you feel 100%." He pointed to the crystal.

"Wasn't planning on taking it off."

He helped me walk out of the room and led me down the confusing halls to what looked like some sort of speaking room. There were rows of chairs all facing one direction where Moira was standing.

Vince and I sat down. I looked around and saw Andy whose arm was in a sling. I didn't see Ethan, but I saw Lauren and that other dude who's name I didn't know.

"What's this for?" I asked Vince.

"Briefing after the attack. Everyone who is conscious should be here."

Andy looked over and waved at me with her good arm. I waved back. Vince sighed but he didn't say anything else.

After a few more minutes, the room was full of people. About half of them were injured.

"Alright, let's get started," Moira said. "So, the attack I'm sure was confusing for all of us. How did nightwalkers get their powers during the day? I don't have an answer to it at this time, but I do know why they were here. It was a prison break. All the vampires downstairs are now gone."

There were murmurs throughout the crowd.

"I know this is not good news." She took a deep breath like she didn't want to say what she was going to next. "And the news won't get any better. The council members and I have tried to keep this quiet to avoid panic, but at this point, it looks like we all need to be on the same page."

"Oh, no," Vince muttered.

"There was an attack about a month and a half ago on our vault."

The murmurs got louder.

"I know this is bad, but we must not panic. The good news is that they weren't able to take anything, but the bad news is that we don't know what they wanted to take. We've increased security at the vault and we've been questioning every nightwalker we could find, but we still know nothing. Which is why we are now going into emergency care."

Shouting ensued. Several people shot up from their seats and yelled at her directly.

"What's that?" I asked Vince.

"Nothing good."

***

Thank you to everyone who has given me so much support while I've been writing this book! Sometimes I find it hard to keep writing, but logging on every day and seeing more people reading my book, liking it and even commenting just makes me so happy! I'm glad you all are enjoying it and it just makes it so much easier to sit down and write.