Chapter Forty-Two

Moira eventually was able to calm everyone down and said assignments would be given out in the morning. For now, everyone was to return to their rooms except for those who would help with the wounded.

Vince was about to make his way back to his room when Moira stopped him. "I need a word with you in my office."

"About what?" Mia asked. She looked pretty confident for someone who had no idea what was going on.

"I want to talk to Vince, not you. Go to your room."

Mia rolled her eyes and muttered something about being grounded before heading off with the rest of the people.

Moira and Vince made their way to her office when they found Ethan waiting. He didn't look like he was in the loop about what this meeting was about either.

"Have a seat. You'll need it for this," Moira said. Vince sat down next to Ethan on the couch. Moira went to open a cabinet behind her desk and pulled out a decanter of some amber-colored alcohol. She poured it into a scotch glass but filled it all the way to the top and drank the whole thing.

Ethan and Vince looked on in bewilderment.

Moira put the glass and decanter back in the cabinet then sat down in the chair across from them.

"Things are a lot worse than I initially let on." She looked like she was struggling to find the words, or she just didn't want to say it out loud. "I told you that we didn't know what they were trying to steal, but that was a lie. They were trying to take the Moon Rune."

Vince froze. He couldn't quite comprehend what she said. There's no way-

"WHAT?" Ethan shouted. "The Moon Rune? You've got to be kidding me. Why wouldn't you say anything?"

"I didn't want to start a panic. None of the council members did."

The Moon Rune. There's no way they could let them get their hands on it. The chaos that would follow. 

"We were hoping we could stop Ellis before he made another attempt but now, it's clear we need to be doing more."

"Suddenly, emergency care doesn't sound too bad," Vince said. "What's the plan?"

"A skeleton crew will stay behind to keep everything up and running here, along with the wounded and those who haven't passed their field training. The rest will be on patrol at the vault or searching known nightwalker hiding spots trying to find Ellis and stop him."

"Will Mia be staying behind?" Vince asked.

Moira sighed. "I know you would prefer to stay behind with her, but someone with your skill set needs to be out in the field."

"I know, but it's just that she doesn't have any friends here. While I don't think she thinks of me as a friend, she trusts me. She might be more comfortable is I stayed behind."

"I understand your concern, but Ethan is staying behind to keep things under control here and she knows him so it'll be fine."

Vince and Ethan shared a glance. Mia didn't exactly like him, but it was probably better than not knowing anybody.

"Besides, it's not up to me if you want to stay behind," Moira said.

"Whose is it?"

She went quiet and tried to avoid looking him in the eye. Ethan picked a spot at the wall to stare at.

"Your father is coming to help with this situation."

Vince clenched his fists. "When does he get here?"

"Tomorrow."

He stood up. "Then I guess I better get ready for his arrival." He left and went straight to his room. When he got to the hallway, Mia was sitting outside her door and looked to be waiting for him.

"I would've waited outside your door, but I don't know which one that is." She laughed and stood up.

Vince walked past her to get to his door which was only a few doors from hers.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Peachy." He tried to close the door but she forced it open and squeezed inside.

"Something is wrong. What is it?"

He aggressively rubbed the back of his neck. "It's nothing you need to be concerned about."

She walked over to him so she could look him in the eye. "You are my only friend here. Ethan is annoying. I don't know anything about Andy. And I don't trust anyone here who would work with the vampire who got me kidnapped. So, if something is wrong you can talk to me about it."

He took a deep breath and then sat down on the couch and gestured for her to do the same.

Since it wasn't really his room and just a guest room for reds to stay in when they were here, the decorations made it feel like a hotel room. The couch was brown leather and the wood was stained a dark brown and the pictures on the walls were of weird landscapes. At least the tv was new unlike it was in Mia's room.

"I don't actually stay here at this institution. I live in one up in Washington. My brothers and I came down here to help with Rutherford's house attack. And then we stayed because of complications. And now with the emergency system going into place..." he struggled to get the words out. "My dad is coming here."

She nodded. "I take it you don't like your dad."

Vince sighed and leaned forward onto his knees. "He's fine. He just has so many expectations of me. I am the heir after all."

"Maybe you can talk to one of your brothers about it. I'm sure they feel the same way you do."

He shook his head. "Nah, my brothers were never given the pressure I was. They aren't the heir, so my parents were, I don't know, nicer to them? More lenient?"

"Well, I don't know much about overbearing parents, so I don't know what to say to help."

"You could help by not embarrassing me tomorrow."

She squinted her eyes. "Why would I embarrass you tomorrow?"

He sat up from his knees to look at her. "If my father is coming, he's going to want to meet you."

"Why?"

"I told you. My family has always been really close to the Whites."