Chapter Seven

I woke up on the floor of my cell. Same headache and paralysis as before, only not as scary because I was expecting it.

There was no light coming in through the small window so I could only assume it was nighttime. A whole twenty-four hours since I've been taken and I've already caved.

I waited out the paralysis and it wore off after I'm guessing only half an hour, but lying there and being unable to move, it felt more like hours. 

Once I was able to sit up, I saw that the vampire girl kept her word. There was a change of clothes, baby wipes, deodorant, a bottle of lotion, a gallon of water, Tylenol, and a plastic grocery store bag full of tacos.

I took off my shirt and turned my back to the basement door and started to wipe myself down with the baby wipes. I put the new shirt on and repeated the process with my pants. Then I tore into the bag of tacos and chugged the water. The tacos had gone cold from sitting out but I didn't care. It was food. And I needed it.

When I finished eating I put all of my trash back in the bag and sat down on my cot. I had nothing to do so I alternated between sitting and drumming on my lap and pacing the length of the cell. I was bored out of my mind and it bothered me that that was what I was thinking about. I should be trying to come up with a way to get out of here. But I couldn't see any. 

There was no key on the wall that unlocked my cell. And none of the stupid vampires that I've met in this place seem to be willing to let me go. That vampire woman would be happy to see me stay in here so she can exploit me; Charlie was the one who brought me here in the first place so I doubt he could be swayed; the grandpa was definitely a no go because I was the one they kidnapped to feed him and he didn't seem to mind that one bit. And that Jay guy was nice... maybe him?

I heard the basement door open and feet stomping down the stairs. Someone flicked on the light and I saw Jay standing at the base of the stairs. Only, he looked different. His face was all sweaty and he was taking labored breaths.

"Jay?" I called, but he didn't even look like he heard me. He just kept staring at me- no at my neck. He took quick steps to the cell door and was muttering to himself. His hands were shaking and he was struggling to put the key in the lock.

As much as I would love the opportunity to escape, I highly doubted that would happen if Jay fed off of me in his condition. "Jay, don't open the door," I said. As if he would listen.

He managed to get the key in the lock and threw the door open. I tried to dodge him but he grabbed my arm. I screamed as he was about to bite down on my neck when someone grabbed him and threw him to the other side of the cell. He flew through the air and hit the cell wall. He fell on his back, but immediately got back up and tried to make his way to me.

The person who saved me was the vampire woman. She grabbed him again and started fighting with him. Seeing this as my only opportunity, I ran out of the cell door and up the stairs. I was an inch away from the door when I heard something run up behind me. It grabbed my arm and threw me back down the stairs. I stumbled to the floor and struggled to get up. My vision was spinning and my body was weak. Probably from all of the blood loss.

I looked up and saw the two of them fighting again. The woman was winning. And then she took Jay and slammed his head into the bars of the cell. He fell unconscious on the floor.

I groaned and tried to move but my body wouldn't let me. It was weak and tiring.

"Well, looks like we need to check the locks on his door." The woman straightened her clothes then picked me up and put me back in my cell. "Sorry about that. He hasn't learned to control it yet."

"Control what?" I asked except I had a pretty good idea.

"We only feel it at night. The bloodlust," she explained. "The rest of the time, it's just a normal hunger that any human feels and can manage." She looked down at Jay's unconscious body, then back at me. "He's new and still trying to get the hang of things."

She said it like it totally made up for the fact that he tried to kill me.

"I'll take him back up to his room and make sure the locks are on tight." She saluted me, then picked up Jay and threw him over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes. So easy. So effortless. Like she had all the strength in the world.