Chapter Twenty-Five

"This is just madness," Moira said. She and Ethan were sitting on the couch in her office as he filled her in on what happened with the mansion and Mia.

"I know. I don't know what move to make next," Ethan said.

She shook her head and looked back over her files sitting on the coffee table. "I mean, the problems just keep piling up. The nightwalkers, this Mia girl, and I have taken accounts from everyone on the raid and while we did have one blind spot for only a few seconds, I don't understand how Ellis could've known that and used it to escape." She shook her head and downed the rest of her coffee.

"Ethan, are you sure there's not anything else that happened yesterday?"

Ethan thought back through everything step by step. Driving there, getting out of the car, hiking to his position, waiting, and then... that man showed up. Ethan mentally slapped himself in the face. With all the drama with Vince and Mia, he forgot about the man who he couldn't read.

"I'm so stupid," he said. "There was a man who arrived at the house just before the raid."

"What did he look like?"

"Well, he was tall. looked to be about fifty or sixty. And he wore a fancy suit and sunglasses even though it was still dark out."

Moira stood up and started pacing the room nervously. "Could you sense what he was? What kind of nightwalker?"

Ethan shook his head. "I couldn't get a read off of him. It was like there was a bubble around him."

She paused and took off her reading glasses to rub her face. "This is not good. This is very not good."

"Mom, what is it?" Ethan asked. He had never seen his mother this worried before.

"I thought they were all dead. They were supposed to be dead. All of them."

"Who mom? Who was that guy?"

"That's how he knew. That's how he knows everything. This isn't good. I need to call for more security. Those Valentino boys are definitely not leaving." She practically ran over to her phone and started dialing. Ethan stood in shock and wanted to know what was going on, but he knew better than to interrupt his mother when she was on the phone.

"Vince, do you happen to know if your brothers have left yet... well could you make sure they don't? We're going to need all hands on deck here... Just with the prisoners. I didn't know how much work they were going to require... thank you." When she hung up, she fell down into her desk chair.

"Mom, who was that man?" Ethan asked again.

"A spiritwalker. An oracle."