Chapter Forty-Four

"This is such a bad idea," Vince said for the sixth time since we left the institute (apparently that's what it's called and not 'mansion'). "You could barely use it last time. Only your hands disappeared."

"I know, but it's like Moira said, I need motivation for it to work," I said. "What better motivation than trying to avoid getting arrested?"

Neither of the boys looked happy with this, but they knew they couldn't stop me. 

"The guard seems to just be circling the outside," Ethan said from the treeline. We were standing in the forest just outside the Rutherfords' house. He was watching the guard to get his pattern down or whatever. "Getting inside should be easy, but I would be careful trying to exit. Wait till he passes by you before you try to leave."

"Yes, mom," I said. I held the crystal in my hand and was about to leave when Vince stopped me.

"Wait, use this." He handed me a glove that had a hole cut out of the palm and weird metal hooks coming out of the seems around it. "Put it on and put the crystal in there. This way you don't have to worry about dropping it."

I slipped the glove onto my left hand and clipped the crystal under the hooks. It fit snuggly and was flatly pressed against my skin.

"So, I get to use fancy gadgets now?" I asked.

Ethan chuckled. "Yeah, then when we get back it'll be a few months of learning the basics. Now scoot before he comes back around the corner."

I turned to face the house and didn't see the cop in sight. I ran across the lawn, my heart beating with every step. When I got to the backdoor, I quickly slipped inside.

The house looked just like I remembered it. With its dark gothic furniture and weird family oil paintings on the walls. This was also the room that Kevin attacked that guard and where I got that lightning crystal.

I looked down at the clear crystal in my palm and focused. I had done this twice before and I can do it now. I thought about being invisible and no one being able to see me. I thought about how I needed this to happen. Closing my eyes, I thought hard.

When I opened them, I couldn't see my body. I almost teared up with joy, but there were more important things to do.

Making my way through the halls, I found my way back to Ellis's office. I opened every drawer and opened every book looking for some clue as to where they went. I didn't see anything written in some secret code nor a secret hideout address written on a sticky-note. There didn't appear to be anything. Not even a safe.

Maybe they kept their secrets in another room?

I was about to leave to the office when the doorknob started to turn. I panicked, but then realized no one could see me. So, I moved to a corner out of the way.

The door opened and two men walked in. Both were very old, but I recognized one of them. It was Ellis.

My heart was beating so hard against my chest I thought it was going to bruise. I covered my mouth with my hand to make sure I wouldn't make any noise and stood as still as possible.

"Make it quick," the other man said. "The guard will be coming around again in exactly seventeen minutes and thirty-four seconds." His voice sounded familiar. He was the man in the office with Ellis when I was trying to escape.

"That's plenty of time," Ellis said and opened one of his desk drawers. The bottom one. I stepped as quietly as I could to get a better look but trying to stay to the sides of the room. I knew I was invisible, but I figured they could still run into me.

He took everything out of the drawer and lifted up the bottom to reveal a hidden compartment that had a tiny notebook inside.

"Got it," Ellis said.

The other man nodded. "Back to the shipping yard then?"

"Yes." Ellis made his way out of the room. The other man stood there for a second and I could've sworn he was looking right at me. Then he winked and followed Ellis.

I looked down at my body and saw it was still invisible. How could he have known I was here?

I waited a minute to make sure they were gone before leaving the mansion myself. Running back to the treeline, my blood was pumping so fast. I almost couldn't contain the shock of what just happened. When I made it back to Vince and Ethan, they both were still watching the house.

"Can you guys see me?" I asked. They both startled for a second and looked around to see where my voice was coming from. I tried to power off the crystal but didn't know how so I removed it from the glove and put it in my pocket. Once I was visible again, their eyes settled on me.

"No, we couldn't see you. That's the whole point," Vince said. "Did you find anything?"

"Not really. But I heard something."

"Heard something? Was someone in there?" Ethan asked.

I nodded. "It was Ellis and some other guy."

"Ellis!?" Ethan practically shouted. "I'll go see if I can find him and follow." He turned to run but I grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"No need. I know where they are."

"Where?"

"The shipping yard. Wherever that is."

Ethan nodded. "That's good. That's really good. We need to head back."

He ran back to the car and Vince almost followed before he noticed that I wasn't.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

I looked back down at the house. "I'm not sure. The man who was with Ellis, I think he saw me."

"What?"

"Yeah, but why didn't he say anything to Ellis?"

Vince shook his head. "What makes you think he saw you?"

"He winked at me."

He looked back at the house, too. "We need to get back. We'll sort this all out then."