Chapter Fifteen

I woke up with plenty of time to prepare. I ate a packet of crackers and started a quick routine of my morning yoga but I was too hyped up with jitters and nerves to really focus. I found myself pacing in my tiny cell waiting for Kayla to come down. It was time I took matters into my own hands.

Sunlight just barely started to seep through the tiny window and I felt re-energized. The door opened and Kayla started to walk down the steps. 

I sat down on my cot and waited for her to walk up to me. She made it to the cell and tilted her head slightly. My heart was pounding with anticipation but I tried to keep the look off my face. I couldn't give anything away.

"So, what would you like delivered to you today?" she asked like she usually did. I looked like I was trying to think about it.

"Probably just some more snacks to keep in here and a few books. You go through them fast when you have nothing else to do."

She nodded and gestured for me to come to the cell. I stood up, my heart pounding in my ears. Was I really going to go through with this? I asked myself. Yes.

When I reached the bars, I started to put my arm out like I usually do when I looked behind her. "What's that?"

She turned around. I thrust my arms through the bars and locked it around her neck. I pulled back so her feet weren't on the floor and my arm was pressing deep into the sides of her neck. In only a matter of seconds, she collapsed on the floor unconscious.

I bent down and searched for the key to the cell that she always kept in her pants pocket and unlocked the cell. Then I grabbed my backpack, which was now full of water bottles and granola bars instead of my heavy textbooks. I picked up Kayla and set her on the cell floor and locked the door behind me.

"C'mon, Kevin," I softly called to him. He was hiding under the bed and darted out to follow me up the stairs. I opened the door leading to the mansion just a crack to see if anyone was in the hallway. There was no one. I slipped out the door and allowed Kevin to do the same before shutting it behind me.

No turning back now.

I carefully made my way through the house, trying to go to the back and sneak out, but the hallways were like a labyrinth. I had no idea where I was in relation to the front of back or the house.

I thought I heard voices coming and walking from around the corner and ducked into the nearest door thinking it was a closet, but it was some sort of office. Very old fashioned in its decoration with a heavy desk and stuffed leather chair. There were bookshelves built into the walls and filled with what looked to be Russian literature.

The voices continued to get closer. I looked around and saw a small wardrobe that was just big enough for me to stuff myself and Kevin into. I picked him up, climbed inside and closed the door just in time for the voices to enter the room.

"This is an unexpected visit, Samuel. My appointments are only for the first of the month." I didn't recognize the voice, but it sounded like the person went around the desk and then sat down in the chair. He must've been one of the vampires who lived here.

"I understand," the other voice said. It was smooth like oil and sent a shiver down my spine. This man also made next to no noise when he walked; I had no idea where he was. "But I was hoping a businessman like yourself understands that things come up all the time. So, for a small price, I will tell you about a small threat I've seen on your horizon."

"How small?" The other man said.

"At least half my yearly retainer."

I heard a glass get set down and the man behind the desk started coughing. When it died down, he said, "Half? That's no small fee, Samuel."

Kevin started squirming in my hands. He never liked to sit still for so long, so I pinned him against my chest.

"I understand. But you're running short on time. And you won't survive this threat if you don't know about it. So, do we have a deal?"

It was completely silent. So quiet, I refused to breathe in case they could hear me. Then the vampire spoke.

"All right." I heard them stand up and clap their hands together in what I hoped was a handshake. "So?"

"Ah, yes. There is a highly trained group of hunters surrounding your house right now ready to kill you and your entire family." With the way he said it, I almost expected him to smile in a "got you" kind of way.

"Right now? There's no way for me to prepare for this!" The vampire was outraged. I could almost feel his anger and sense him waving his hands around.

"Yes," I heard footsteps heading towards the door. "But part of that fee will go towards the reinforcements I've brought you."

The door opened. Then the men stepped outside. The door closed. I was so nervous the step out of the wardrobe right away, so I stayed inside for a few minutes. When I couldn't hear anything, I cracked open the door and saw an empty office.

I rolled out of the wardrobe and stretched my body out from being in that uncomfortable position. I looked down and saw Kevin doing the same.

I made my way over to the door and cracked it open to look out into the hallway. There was no one out there so I continued on with my escape. I just hoped I was able to get out before those so-called 'hunter' people started killing everyone in the house.

As I passed by a large window, a tiny black cylinder smashed through the window and landed on the floor. It beeped for a few seconds then went off and started blowing white smoke everywhere.

I ran faster down the hallway and saw that other windows had the smoke bombs thrown through and the entire house was filled with smoke. I kept running and trying to find my way through the house when I heard the fighting start. I couldn't see any of their faces, but I saw their bodies out of the corner of my eyes as I ran. They moved through the smoke as if it wasn't there at all.

I arrived at a less smoky room and saw that it was a dining room. And right behind the table was a door that led outside. I bolted toward it, only to have my hair be pulled back by someone behind me.

I landed on my back on the floor. The man stood above me in full riot gear. The only thing that stood out was the strangest dagger on his hip. Before I could get a good look at it, he leaned over me to pin me down and aimed his gun at my face. But before he could shoot, Kevin jumped up and slashed his claws at the man's eyes.

The man stumbled and I was able to stand up. I grabbed a heavy vase on the table and smashed it over the man's head. He fell to the ground and the gun slid across the room, lost into the smoke. I went for the next best thing and grabbed the weird dagger from his belt and bolted out the back door.

The sun was bright and practically blinded my eyes from being underground for so long. I felt the light energize me as I ran toward the tree line and into the woods.