Chapter Nineteen

"So you don't remember much about what happened?" Officer Bradshaw asked me. It was around nightfall when I made it back to town and I ran straight for the police station. The desk guy was a little surprised to see a girl covered in dirt with a cat following her walk into the station, and it didn't help when I told him I was the missing girl.

An officer quickly came out to talk to me, and I knew I could spew out some bullshit about being kidnapped by vampires, so I lied. I told them I didn't remember much.

"No. I only remember small bits. I was unconscious for most of the time," I said. Kevin was sitting on my lap and while the police weren't too happy about letting a cat in, they seemed to allow it because Kevin would not leave my side.

"Let's just start from the beginning then. Do you remember how you were taken?"

I nodded. "I had to go back to my locker to grab one of my textbooks. I can't even remember which one now. And I saw one of my classmates, Charlie something. I don't know his last name. And he overpowered me and took me to his car, where he drove me to this mansion in the woods and locked me in a cage in the basement.

"Then the next morning, some man came downstairs and gave me this drug that caused me to seizure and go unconscious. And when I woke up my entire body was paralyzed for a significant about of time before I could move it." While I could tell them about the vampires, I figured my best bet of not getting taken again was to put the pressure on the people who took me.

The entire time I spoke, Officer Bradshaw was scribbling down notes. "Do you remember what the man looked like?"

"Yes, he had snowy white hair and brown eyes. Kind of a square-shaped face." Bradshaw wrote it all down. "I have his name too if you want." He looked up at me with a concerned look. "I'm guessing they didn't expect me to get out alive. His name is Ellias Rutherford."

This time Bradshaw hesitated before writing it down and shook his head.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing," Bradshaw said. I gave him a look. "The Rutherford family has been one to watch in the organized crime world. They're mostly known for dealing drugs."

So they existed in the real world. That was good news. That meant that there might be a way to keep them from taking me back. I'm not exactly sure what happened the day I left, but I won't believe that those assholes are gone until I see them in graves.

"Anyway, so they kept giving me the drug until I was able to make my escape this morning."

"And how did you do that?"

I hesitated before answering. Even though I killed Kayla in self-defense, would I still be in trouble because of it? I ditched the knife before I came in here because of that exact question. "I-"

"MIA!" A familiar voice called from the front desk. I looked over and saw my mom and dad running over to me. I stood up, causing Kevin to fall to the floor, and ran to them and hugged my mom. My dad then wrapped his arms around both of us in one big bear hug.

To hell with them not being my real parents. They raised me and loved me and right now I needed my mom and dad more than anything.

"Oh my god, what happened to you?" my mother asked as she tried to fix my hair and wipe the dirt off my face.

"A lot," I said. I couldn't help but smile at her. I looked over at my dad to see him talking to officer Bradshaw. Bradshaw didn't look happy as they walked over to mom and me.

"Mia," Bradshaw said. "Your parents would like to take you home tonight. Do you think you'll remember everything in the morning, or do you want to finish now?"

My smile dropped and I looked him right in the eye. "Trust me. I will never forget."

***

The entire drive home my parents couldn't hold in their excitement. I was having a tough time myself. I was having a hard time believing I was finally out of the cell until I saw them standing there smiling at me.

When we got home, I went upstairs to take a shower. After only washing myself with baby wipes it was amazing to be in an actual shower. My hair was so oily and tangled as well I was in the shower until the water ran cold trying to clean it all.

When I left the bathroom, I saw dad sitting outside the door asleep. I bent down and shook his shoulder. He woke up and looked scared for a second, then he saw it was me. "Do you want to sleep outside my bedroom, too?" I asked and smiled down at him. He was cute that he cared so much. But I'm guessing they haven't slept very well since I left either.

"I'm thinking about it."

I rolled my eyes at him then went into my bedroom. Kevin was already laying on my bed. And while I was in my shower, mom filled one of out old baking trays with teared up newspaper as a litterbox for Kevin to use. Neither one of my parents understood how I made a friend in a cat during all of this and why he kept following me around, but they just went with it. I think they were just happy I was home.

I crawled into bed around Kevin and relaxed in the comfort of my own bed. In my own fluffy socks and my own soft pajamas. I smelled my own pillow and it smelled like home. I smiled and started to cry from relief. I was home.

I was finally home.